- Feds ask judge to impose $6.5 million punishment for Cape surgeon (12/7/17)9
- Harbor Freight Tools plans to move ahead with Cape Girardeau store (12/5/17)2
- Light and music show: Jackson family goes high-tech with Christmas display (12/11/17)
- Former Wimpy's Drive-In owner Freeman Lewis dies (12/9/17)2
- Makeover at the movies: Transformation complete inside Cape theater (12/8/17)4
- Sugarfire Cape barbecue restaurant to open June 2018 (12/7/17)
- Jury convicts Scott City man who confessed to murder; girlfriend's testimony corroborates confession (12/9/17)
- Pedestrian struck on Broadway (12/11/17)4
- Business Notebook: Yule Log Cabin gets home feel honestly (12/4/17)
- Fruitland Army veteran spends weeks helping in ravaged Puerto Rico (12/5/17)2
Thanks for support of fire sales tax
To the editor:
The residents of Cape Girardeau took advantage of a wonderful opportunity on June 8 to move forward in a positive direction. The city's quarter-cent fire sales tax was approved by a very strong margin of 80.65 percent. On behalf of the city council, I thank you for your support. Your support will allow our public safety departments to keep up with the growing pace of our community and its needs.
Taxes are something that require careful and thoughtful analysis before they are put before the voters. We made some mistakes in April 2003, and we worked extremely hard to learn from those mistakes and put forth a tax initiative that would address our most critical needs.
We extend a big thank you to all the media in Cape Girardeau that got behind this issue. In addition, we say thank you to the numerous resident groups and staff groups who worked so hard to communicate the issues and challenges to the residents of this great city.
The recently approved sales tax is greatly needed. We are a retail and medical hub, and our residents deserve to have the resources needed to maintain this position and move forward. In the coming months residents will see many improvements in our public safety departments.
Thank you again, Cape Girardeau, for your show of confidence in our city government and its leadership. We will do everything in our power to continue to earn your respect and trust.
JAY B. KNUDTSON