Riverdogs run short of sweeping twinbill

Monday, June 21, 2004

The Cape Girardeau Riverdogs were two innings away from a potential sweep of the St. Louis Printers and a strong end to a long weekend.

But 12 runs by the Printers over the last two innings of the second game of a doubleheader Sunday handed the Riverdogs another split and dropped their record to 5-7.

Cape won the opener 6-4 and dropped the second game 15-5 at Capaha Field.

The Riverdogs split a doubleheader on the road with the Southern Illinois Merchants on Saturday.

"It was that close," Riverdogs co-coach Robin Minner said of his team's strong play through 12 innings.

The day started with Cape using some clutch hitting to grab a 3-0 lead in the first inning of the game.

With a runner on and two out, Josh Ivy extended the inning with a single through the infield. Adam Friga followed with an RBI single, and Tyler Schlosser later drove in a pair with a double.

"We got those two-out hits in the first game," Minner said.

The Printers (3-4) put up a run in the third, but the Riverdogs answered with three more two-out runs in the bottom of the third. Cape got its three runs with the help of a hit batsman, a walk, a wild pitch and an error. In the inning the Riverdogs managed only one hit.

Riverdogs starter Tim Davis made the 6-1 lead hold up, allowing four runs in 6 1/3 innings. Davis allowed nine hits, struck out four, walked three and hit two batters. Friga pitched the final 2/3 of an inning to pick up the save.

The second game started equally well for the Riverdogs with three runs in the bottom of the first. Printers starter Brad Bumpus walked the first three batters he faced, and was fortunate to get out of the first inning with only three runs crossing the plate.

"They tried to give us that second game early on," Minner said.

Bumpus' wildness seemed to give the Riverdogs problems the rest of his day. Cape did not get another hit off Bumpus in his next three innings of work, although the Riverdogs had a golden opportunity in the fourth inning.

Cape took three walks to load the bases with one out. Bumpus struck out the next two batters to end the threat.

"I bet we stranded 12 runners," Minner said.

After the Printers tied the game in the top of the fifth with an unearned run, the Riverdogs again seemed prime to put some runs across. Cape had three straight two-out hits, only to have a diving grab by the Printers right fielder end the threat.

Two errors in the sixth helped the Printers go ahead with four runs. The Riverdogs responded with two runs in the bottom of the sixth. Ivy drove in both with a double to cut the score to 7-5. Schlosser followed with a single and stole second to put runners on second and third with one out. Printers reliever Matt Kury got out of the jam, though.

The Printers cushioned their lead with eight runs in the seventh. Kury picked up the win with three innings of relief.

Ivy had a pair of hits in the second game and four on the day. He drove in three in the second game.

"It was our fifth game this weekend and we played like it," Minner said.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: