- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Health calendar 5/6/08
* Preparation for childbirth class: 5:30 to 9 p.m. at Saint Francis Medical Center. Guide to expected bodily changes, labor signs and stages, pain control techniques and basic infant care. Tips on relaxing, positioning and breathing will also be discussed. Refreshments will be provided. Remember to bring the "Pregnancy, Childbirth and Parenting Kit" provided by your physician's office. Call 877-231-2229 to register.
* Breast-feeding class: 3 to 4 p.m. in the Generations Center. Covers topics such as the benefits and techniques of breast-feeding, family involvement and support. To register, call 651-5825.
* Bosom Buddies: 6:30 p.m. at HealthPoint Plaza. Open to all women who have or have had breast cancer.
* "Back Surgery: When Is It the Right Choice?": 6:30 to 8 p.m. in the Harrison Room. A program about the various options for those considering back surgery like artificial disc replacement, no hospitalization/band-aid microdiscectomy and other minimally invasive techniques. To register, call 651-5825.
* Our New Baby class: 6 to 7 p.m. at the Generations Center. Helps children, ages 2 to 4, and their parents adjust to having a new baby. To register, call 651-5825.
* Childbirth preparation class: 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. in the Harrison Room. Eases parents' concerns and gives them a positive, confident attitude toward labor and delivery. To register, call 651-5825.
* Mother and Daughter Health Symposium: 6 to 8 p.m. in the Harrison Room at Southeast Missouri Hospital. An opportunity for mothers ages 35 to 55 and daughters in their teens to 20s to learn about women's health issues like TVT (minimally invasive incontinence bladder repair), HPV (the human papilloma virus), and annual maintenance exams. Prizes and hors' d'oeuvres will be given away during the evening. Seating is limited. To register, call the Generations Center at 651-5825 or go online to www.southeastmissourihospital.com by Friday.
* Infant care class: 5:30 to 7 p.m. at Saint Francis Medical Center. A caregiver's manual for parents, grandparents and other care providers, Saint Francis' Infant Care Class covers topics such as feeding, daily care, infant sleeping patterns, and health and safety information. Call 877-231-2229 to register.
* Sibling class: 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at Saint Francis Medical Center Registration Center. Include children ages 3 to 6 in the birthing process while preparing them to become better siblings. To register, call 877-231-2229.
* Diabetes Self-Management support group: 1 to 2 p.m. in Southeast Missouri Hospital's Diabetes Center. This month's program will focus on the physical, emotional and psychological aspects of living with diabetes. To register or for more information, call the Diabetes Center at 339-0121.
* Mended Hearts Club: 6 p.m. in the Generations Center. "Varicose Veins & Potential Complications." For more information, call Cardiac/Pulmonary Rehabilitation Services at 331-7950.
* Mother's Day 5K & Fun Run: HealthPoint Fitness will hold the third annual Mother's Day 5K & Fun Run at 8 a.m. in Arena Park. The event helps raise funds for children's health and wellness and cancer programs at Southeast Missouri Hospital. Register online at www.active.com or at HealthPoint Fitness. For more information, call 986-4406.
Southeast Missouri State University Lambda Chi Alpha, 1000 Towers Circle, noon to 5 p.m.
Jackson Church of Christ, 310 North Shawnee Blvd., 3 to 7 p.m.
Jackson American Legion hall, 1:30 to 6:30 p.m.
Tailor Institute hosts banquet Friday
The Tailor Institute will host the first Fund Raiser Banquet Friday at the Southeast Missouri State University Ballroom. The benefit includes a raffle of a painting by Taylor Crowe, dinner and a performance by the ghost of Mark Twain. Experts estimate it costs $3.2 million to providing lifetime care to one person with autism or Asperger's syndrome. The Tailor Institute works to help highly functioning individuals with autism or Asperger's gain from their skills. Tickets are $150; table for eight is $1,000. For more information, call 225-3386 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
— From staff reports