- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Cape Legion tops tournament host
The Cape Girardeau Ford & Sons American Legion baseball team rebounded from a Friday loss to beat host Blytheville, Ark., 2-1 on Saturday in the Cason Classic.
Cape (6-11), which committed seven errors in a 10-7 loss to Marissa, Ill., in the tournament opener, finishes the four-team event today with two games, against Marissa at 2 p.m. and Dunklin County at 4 p.m.
Lee Essner posted his second complete-game victory of the week. He allowed just one hit in seven innings, striking out three and walking two. The only hit he gave up was a leadoff double in the fourth inning as Blytheville scored an unearned run.
Scott Brueckner had three of Cape's eight hits, including a double. Cory Huskey drove in both runs, on RBI singles in the first and fifth innings. Patrick Slattery also added two hits.
"It was a really good game for us, and Lee pitched great," Cape coach Michael Minner said.
Dunklin County is 2-0 in the tournament, Cape and Marissa are both 1-1, and Blytheville is 0-2.