- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)31
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Blunt picks House member for mediation board
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) -- A Republican House member from suburban St. Louis has been nominated for a state board overseeing public employee elections on whether to join unions.
Jim Avery says he will resign if confirmed by the Senate to the state Board of Mediation. His spot would expire in 2011.
Avery says he wants to spend more time at home and that it has been difficult juggling his political and military careers. The Crestwood man is in his third term in the House.
Gov. Matt Blunt in 2005 cut the state Board of Mediation's budget and then signed an executive order shifting its duties to the state labor commission. Blunt has since re-created the board.
Blunt on Friday also named former Democratic state Sen. Wayne Goode to the Second State Capitol Commission.