- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Area calendar 5/1/08
* Flickerwood Showdown: The Flickerwood Arena in Jackson will host the Flickerwood Showdown IX Barrel Race from Friday through Sunday. The Flickerwood Showdown IX Barrel Racing Series is eight barrel races held on four separate weekends throughout the year. Admission: Free. Info: Mark Boardman, 243-3876.
* Boys tournament: The Chaffee boys 13-year olds tournament will take place May 15 to 18 at the Chaffee Harmon field. It will be a double-elimination tournament. Cost: $175 per team. Info: Mike or Tina Johnson, 318-9063 or 318-6054.
* American Legion tryout: The Cape Girardeau American Legion tryouts will be held Sunday at Capaha Field. The Junior Legion tryout for players 17 and under will be at 12:30 p.m. The Senior Legion tryout, for players 19 and under, will be at 2:30 p.m. Info: Tood Pennington for Junior Legion, 618-306-2265; Dave Meyr for Senior Legion, 450-1462.
* Cardinals road trip: The Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department will host its eighth annual St. Louis Cardinals game day. It will be July 6 against the Chicago Cubs, with the first pitch scheduled for 2:15 p.m. Cost: $25 per ticket, located on the infield terrace reserved level. There is an additional $17 charge for those planning to ride to the game via charter bus. The bus will leave the Osage Community Centre at 10:15 a.m. and should return around 7 p.m. Info or to register: Parks and Recreation Department, 335-5421.
* American Legion tryout: The American Legion Post 133 in Perryville will hold baseball tryouts for AA and AAA teams Sunday at Veteran's Memorial Field in Perryville City Park. The tryouts are open to players between the ages 15 to 19. The tryout will run from 1 to 3 p.m. Info: Gerald Hoffman, 768-6550.
* American Legion tryout: The Scott County American Legion Post 369 will hold baseball tryouts Sunday at Scott City High School. The tryout for the Junior Legion team, for players between the ages 15 to 17, will be at 3 p.m. The tryout for the Senior Legion team, for players between the ages 17 to 19, will be at 5 p.m. Info: Tom Dirnberger, 545-3551 or 262-2128 for Junior Legion; Denver Stuckey, 579-8473 or Lance Amick, 579-8562 for Senior Legion.
* Capahas camp: The Plaza Tire Capahas will hold their annual baseball camp June 9 and 10 at Capaha Field. The camp will be from 8 a.m. to noon June 9 and 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. June 10, with lunch served at noon June 10. The camp, which will be broken up into age brackets and skill levels, is for boys and girls ages 7 through 17. Areas that will be covered include hitting, fielding, pitching, catching, base running, rules, signs, stretching, nutrition and sportsmanship. Instructors will include Capahas manager Jess Bolen and his players, area high school coaches, Southeast Missouri State coaches and trainers from Southeast Missouri Hospital and Healthpoint Fitness. Cost is $65 per person, which includes a Capahas logo T-shirt. Info: 335-6644.
* MLB Pitch, Hit and Run Competition: The Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department will host the Major League Baseball Pitch, Hit and Run Competition for area youth May 10 at Arena Park baseball field No. 6. Registration for the event begins at 10 a.m., and competition begins at 10:30 a.m. Boys and girls will be divided into four age groups — 7- and 8-year olds, 9- and 10-year olds, 11- and 12-year olds and 13- and 14-year olds. The competition is free. Info: Jared Tanz, 335-5421.
* Girls tournament: The Wolfpack Shootout, a basketball tournament for girls in grades 7 and 8, will be held Saturday. Entry fee is $125 and space is limited. Info: B.J. Smith, 587-4646.
* Skills camps: Jackson will hold skills camps for players between the ages 5 and 14. The first camp, which focuses on developing skills in dribbling, passing and shooting, will take place June 24 to June 27. It will run from 6 to 7:30 p.m. for ages 5 to 7, from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. for ages 8 to 10 and from 1 to 3 p.m. for ages 11 to 14. The second skills camp will run from July 28 to July 31. It will run from 8:30 to 10 a.m. for ages 5 to 7, from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. for ages 8 to 10 and from 1 to 3 p.m. for ages 11 to 14. Cost: $50 for each camp if player is preregistered, and $55 at the door for each camp. Info: Darrin Scott, 979-1454.
* Shrine tournament: The Cape Shrine Club will host its 13th annual golf tournament May 16 at Bent Creek Golf Course. The tournament will use a four-person scramble format. Cost: $75 per person, which includes golf, cart and lunch. Deadline: Monday. Info: Eddie Schreiner, 243-5503.
* 18 Fore Life tournament: The inaugural Ben Kruse 18 Fore Life charity golf event will take place June 23 at Dalhousie Golf Club. The four-person scramble will feature a 7:30 a.m. shotgun start and 1:30 p.m. shotgun start. The event benefits local families who are battling cancer. Cost: $500 per team, which includes lunch, drinks and golf. Info: Darrin Scott, firstname.lastname@example.org or 2775 Ridgeway Dr., Jackson, Mo. 63755.
* RSVP tournament: The 10th annual RSVP (Retired Senior Volunteer Program) golf tournament will be held July 18 at noon at the Cape Girardeau Jaycees Municipal Golf Course. It will be a four-person scramble. Cost: $240 per team or $60 per individual, which includes lunch, beer and other beverages. The top two teams in flights A and B receive cash prizes. Info: 887-3664 or 335-7555.
* Network Against Sexual Violence tournament: The Southeast Missouri Network Against Sexual Violence will host its fourth annual Paul Boyd Children Charity Golf Tournament at Dalhousie Golf Club on Monday. Tee times are at 7:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. The four-person scramble benefits the Southeast Missouri Network Against Sexual Violence. Cost: $125 per player, which includes lunch, drinks and prizes. Deadline: today. Info: Kara Whitledge, 332-1900.
* Hope Fore Families tournament: Lutheran Family and Children's Services of Missouri will host its sixth annual Hope Fore Families golf tournament May 12 at Dalhousie Golf Club. The four-person scramble will have an 8 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. tee time. Cost: $110 per person for the morning tee time, $135 for the afternoon tee time. Registration: Melody Anderson, 334-5866.
* T.E.A.M. tournament: The third annual T.E.A.M. Southeast golf tournament will take place June 23 at Cape Girardeau Country Club. The tournament is the fundraiser for the Southeast Missouri State football team.
* Girls playday: The Saxony Lutheran golf program and Dalhousie Golf Club are hosting a girls golf playday for high school players from Southeast Missouri. The nine-hole event is scheduled for Wednesday at 4 p.m. High school coaches and athletic directors interested in having players from their schools participate can contact Carroll Williams at 651-4152 or email@example.com.
* Little Hearts Trail Run: Cross Trails Medical Center in Cape Girardeau will host the inaugural Little Hearts Trail Run, a 5K run/1-mile walk May 17. The event will benefit congenital heart defects. The event starts at 9 a.m. Cost: $20. Registration: online at active.com. Info: Patty Merkley, firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Saxony Lutheran camp: Saxony Lutheran High School will host a soccer camp for boys and girls in grades 1 through 8. The camp will run from June 9 to June 13 at the high school. It will be from 5 to 7 p.m. Deadline: Friday. Info: www. saxonylutheranhigh.org, select activities, then soccer, then print form.
* Kicks camp: Kicks Soccer Shop will host a camp for players between the ages 5 and 12 from June 23 to June 27 at Shawnee Soccer Park. It will run from 8 to 11 a.m. The camp is designed to improve the technical and tactical abilities of players. Cost: $60. Info: Kicks Soccerr Shop, West Park Mall in Cape Girardeau.
* Special Olympics benefit: The Southeast Area Special Olympics will host a softball tournament June 21 at the Dexter Sports Complex. There will be a men's upper, men's lower and coed division. The tournament will use ASA rules of play and pitching regulations, ASA or NSA approved bats only and teams will use their own 44 core optic yellow balls. A 1/1 count will be used, no courtesy and home runs will be determined at coin toss. Cost: $100 per team. Info or to register: Karen Surface, 579-6428.
* Umpires needed: The Jackson men's softball league needs umpires for its league. Info: Ron Cook, 382-5537 or Jeff Kinder, 243-2629.
* Gators registration: The Gator Swim Team will hold registration for its summer league Saturday at the Cape Municipal Pool. It will run from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Info: Laura Brown, 579-0095.
* Tennis clinic: The Cape Area Tennis Association will host a free clinic for players of all levels Saturday at the Southeast Missouri State tennis facility. The first clinic will be for players between the ages 6 and 10. It will run from 1 to 2:30 p.m. The second clinic will be for players between the ages 11 to 18. It will run from 2:30 to 4:30 p.m. Players are asked to preregister. Info: Donna Ryan, 332-1614.
Track and field
* Hershey's Track and Field Games: The Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department will host the 19th annual Hershey's Track and Field meet at the Central Junior High on May 21. The event begins at 5 p.m., with registration from 4 to 4:45 p.m. The event is open to boys and girls between the ages 9 and 14. Each participant may enter up to three events, with a maximum of two track events. Cost: $2.50 per child, and it's open to all children in Southeast Missouri. Winners advance to the state meet June 27 in Jefferson City. Info or to preregister: Jared Tanz, 335-5421.
* Cape Junior Road Runner Relays: The Cape Junior Road Runner Relays will be held Saturday at the Cape Junior High track. Competitors will be divided into six divisions based on age. Deadline: Register online at www.directathletes.com by today. Cost: $6 per athlete. The sign-in table will be open from 7:30 to 9:30 a.m., there will be a coaches meeting at 8:30 a.m. and the events will begin at 9 a.m. Info: Bryan Kelpe, 979-4021.
* Youth triathlon: The second annual Jackson Youth Triathlon and kids race will take place June 14. The kids race, for ages 3 to 8, will start at 8:30 a.m. The youth triathlon, for ages 9 to 16, will begin at 9 a.m. Info: Jackson Parks and Recreation, 204-8848.
Submit items by mail, fax or e-mail before noon each Wednesday to be included in the calendar.