- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)31
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Broshuis, Smith named to Web site's All-America team
Advance High School graduate Garrett Broshuis and Southeast Missouri State University's Brad Smith both recently received All-American honors from CollegeBaseballInsider.com.
Broshuis, a junior right-handed starting pitcher at the University of Missouri, was placed on the second team.
Smith, a junior right-handed relief pitcher, made the honorable mention list.
Broshuis, a fifth-round pick of the San Francisco Giants in the recent amateur draft who is scheduled to sign with the organization today, went 11-0 this year -- tying Missouri's school record for wins in a season -- with a 2.61 earned-run average.
In 114 innings, Broshuis allowed 97 hits, struck out 91 and walked 24, as he was a first-team all-Big 12 Conference selection. Broshuis was also a first team Academic All-American.
Smith had a sensational rookie year for Southeast, breaking the school single-season and career saves record with 11. He also made a school-record 30 appearances. Smith was 3-2 with a 2.48 ERA while holding opponents to a .199 batting average. In 54 1/3 innings, he allowed 39 hits, struck out 66 and walked 16.
Smith, a first-team all-Ohio Valley Conference pick, was one of three OVC players to make the CollegeBaseballInsider.com honorable mention All-American list. Also selected were Tennessee-Martin shortstop Bryant Jones and Eastern Kentucky outfielder Stephen Carter.