- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Jack Buck award goes to Southeast student
Zachary Chinea of St. Louis received the Jack Buck Scholar-Leadership Award on Monday to attend Southeast Missouri State University.
The award, in honor of St. Louis Cardinals announcer Jack Buck, is given to a student from the St. Louis area. In addition to ranking No. 1 out of 500 in his high school class, Chinea has served as president of the National Honor Society and is a member of both the student council and Boy Scouts of America.
His award next year will cover tuition and room and board.
A dinner was held Monday at the River Campus atrium in Chinea's honor. Carole Buck, the wife of the late Jack Buck, presented the award.
Others recognized were Ben Castelli of Imperial, Mo.; Justin Kinzinger of Columbia, Ill.; and Kasey Fraser-Smith of Festus, Mo. The three finalists received a Jack Buck Regents' Scholarship, which covers tuition and $500 toward housing.