- Two men seriously hurt in crash near Fruitland (9/21/16)3
- Driver charged with manslaughter in crash that killed 2 (9/27/16)
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)9
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
- Funeral procession of former Cape Girardeau police chief Henry H. Gerecke (9/22/16)17
- Cape man accused of attacking pregnant girlfriend (9/22/16)
- Planning, design puts renovations of H-H building into hotel on hold (9/26/16)5
- Show Me Center upgrades may allow facility to draw more elaborate shows (9/21/16)17
- Woman accused of pushing Wal-Mart employee after theft (9/27/16)
Maguire's loss is felt by so many
To the editor:
Last week I lost a true friend, a wife lost a loving husband, three children lost a devoted father, a church lost a faithful worker, the community lost a charitable and unselfish friend and the legal community lost a tremendous attorney.
Jeff Maguire was truly one in a million. Shakespeare suggested the first thing that should be done was to kill all the lawyers. If Jeff had lived in Shakespeare's time, I am sure that quote would have been modified.
I attended Jeff's funeral and wake. The outpouring of support for Jeff's gracious wife Donna and their children -- Courtney, Jean and Sam -- was evident. I was not surprised there was standing room only at his funeral. At the wake there were throngs of people from all walks of life paying tribute to a great friend.
I had the pleasure of working with Jeff for 15 years. We developed a great working relationship and friendship. I work with attorneys every day. Without a doubt Jeff was one of the very best. He was intelligent beyond belief, compassionate, honest and hardworking and an effective and well-respected attorney. Jeff never lost sight of the fact his family came first. Jeff was among the very few of us who can enjoy success to the degree he did without slighting friends and family.
Those of you who never knew Jeff also suffered a loss. You were robbed of the opportunity to know one of the most genuine and caring persons to ever pass this way.