- Compliance check results in underage citations at four Cape bars (7/19/17)
- Isle Casino to host wide-ranging career fair Wednesday (7/16/17)
- Lying police? Missing files, lost evidence: Newspaper investigation reveals glaring details in David Robinson case (7/16/17)2
- Buffalo Wild Wings to hold fundraiser Wednesday for ailing Cape officer (7/19/17)1
- 49-year-old homicide victim found in Cape (7/20/17)
- Sikeston detective's files about murder suspect missing from DPS (7/18/17)1
- Witnesses make claims of officer corruption in Box/Robinson case (7/17/17)1
- Cape city, civic leaders unveil downtown trolley service (7/14/17)6
- Park official: 5-year-old girl nearly drowns at Cape Splash, taken to hospital (7/12/17)4
- Business notebook: Jackson boutique has regional roots in retail (7/17/17)
Maguire's loss is felt by so many
To the editor:
Last week I lost a true friend, a wife lost a loving husband, three children lost a devoted father, a church lost a faithful worker, the community lost a charitable and unselfish friend and the legal community lost a tremendous attorney.
Jeff Maguire was truly one in a million. Shakespeare suggested the first thing that should be done was to kill all the lawyers. If Jeff had lived in Shakespeare's time, I am sure that quote would have been modified.
I attended Jeff's funeral and wake. The outpouring of support for Jeff's gracious wife Donna and their children -- Courtney, Jean and Sam -- was evident. I was not surprised there was standing room only at his funeral. At the wake there were throngs of people from all walks of life paying tribute to a great friend.
I had the pleasure of working with Jeff for 15 years. We developed a great working relationship and friendship. I work with attorneys every day. Without a doubt Jeff was one of the very best. He was intelligent beyond belief, compassionate, honest and hardworking and an effective and well-respected attorney. Jeff never lost sight of the fact his family came first. Jeff was among the very few of us who can enjoy success to the degree he did without slighting friends and family.
Those of you who never knew Jeff also suffered a loss. You were robbed of the opportunity to know one of the most genuine and caring persons to ever pass this way.