- Police: Man dies from self-inflicted gunshot after standoff in south Cape (1/14/18)3
- Here's what's being built next to Chick-fil-A in Cape (1/18/18)1
- Author of Waller's manuscript rewarded for helping feds (1/13/18)
- Cape lands new summer-league baseball team; Capaha Field to see major upgrades (1/20/18)7
- Man sentenced to life for killing mother, burning her body; mouth taped shut at hearing (1/20/18)
- Poultry in motion: 4-H participants take first in nation with barbecue skills (1/13/18)1
- Redhawk Food Pantry helping Southeast students, employees who need assistance with food, supplies (1/19/18)2
- Word to your superintendent: Glass rocks Vanilla Ice parody to announce cancellation (1/13/18)3
- 3 mayor candidates in Scott City; former mayor Porch files for council seat (1/18/18)
- Chronic wasting disease found in 2 Southeast Missouri deer; whether disease transferable to humans unknown (1/18/18)
Church festival to feature concert
To the editor:
Teen Challenge is indeed an amazing organization. We have had the Teen Challenge choir sing and give testimony at our church several times. We too have been moved and blessed by the testimonies of these men.
Just a few months ago our church, Wesley United Methodist Church in Fruitland, started working on an idea for a summer music festival featuring a variety of independent Christian artists. Hoping to tie the event to a community mission, we discussed the options and decided that we would give the proceeds to Teen Challenge of Mid-America.
The event has been set for June 14. Several artists will be taking the outdoor stage in a carnival-style arena. One of the local artists will be New McKendree's Jeremy Verhines.
The Teen Challenge choir, New Creations, will perform and give testimony between the performances.
The festival will begin at 2 p.m. and should wrap up around 8 p.m. The church yard will feature carnival games, a space walk for the kids, washers, food and plenty of family fun.
Tickets go on sale April 27. Tickets will be available through the church, Teen Challenge or by clicking on the PayPal button on the church Web site.
For more information on the concert event, please contact me at 573-243-2811 or visit www.wesleyumcfruitland.com
KIM MITCHELL, Jackson