- Deputies: Man, woman tried to arrange killing of his estranged wife (5/21/17)1
- Former coroner convicted of felony theft now faces prison in misdemeanor case (5/23/17)2
- Police: Woman arrested after meth found hidden in pants (5/26/17)2
- Cape police say man assaulted, kidnapped girlfriend (5/21/17)2
- Woman may lose foot after being hit by moped (5/24/17)
- Illinois Trail of Tears site where Cherokee buried named to National Historic Register (5/24/17)
- Two men face charges in Cape prostitution sting (5/28/17)
- Business notebook: Woman, sister-in-law buy Perryville custom-wear shop (5/22/17)
- Police apprehend Charleston man they say hit Cape woman with car (5/24/17)
- Broadening horizons: Heartland Dream Team founder stays committed to area youth (5/21/17)2
Church festival to feature concert
To the editor:
Teen Challenge is indeed an amazing organization. We have had the Teen Challenge choir sing and give testimony at our church several times. We too have been moved and blessed by the testimonies of these men.
Just a few months ago our church, Wesley United Methodist Church in Fruitland, started working on an idea for a summer music festival featuring a variety of independent Christian artists. Hoping to tie the event to a community mission, we discussed the options and decided that we would give the proceeds to Teen Challenge of Mid-America.
The event has been set for June 14. Several artists will be taking the outdoor stage in a carnival-style arena. One of the local artists will be New McKendree's Jeremy Verhines.
The Teen Challenge choir, New Creations, will perform and give testimony between the performances.
The festival will begin at 2 p.m. and should wrap up around 8 p.m. The church yard will feature carnival games, a space walk for the kids, washers, food and plenty of family fun.
Tickets go on sale April 27. Tickets will be available through the church, Teen Challenge or by clicking on the PayPal button on the church Web site.
For more information on the concert event, please contact me at 573-243-2811 or visit www.wesleyumcfruitland.com
KIM MITCHELL, Jackson