Sunday, April 20, 2008
* American Legion tryout: The Jackson American Legion tryouts will be held today at American Legion Field in Jackson. The tryouts are open to boys between the ages 14 and 19. The eighth- and ninth-grade tryout will be at 1 p.m., the sophomores will try out at 2:30 p.m., the junior, senior and college tryout will be at 3:30 p.m. The rain makeup date is April 27. Info: Gerald Adams, 243-4199, or Mark Lewis, 979-0286.
* Babe Ruth tryout: The Jackson Senior Babe Ruth travel team will hold tryouts April 27 at the American Legion field in Jackson. It will run from 1 to 2:30 p.m. The team is open to players between the ages 15 and 18 from throughout the area. The schedule begins right after school ends and runs until the middle of July. Info: Paul Sander, 243-7921; Stan Minson, 243-5929; Chad Minson, 576-5615.
* MAYB tournament: Southeast Youth Sports will host its annual MAYB basketball tournament in Cape Girardeau and Jackson on Saturday and April 27. The tournament is open to boys and girls in grades 3 through 12. Cost: $150 for a minimum of three games. Info: Darrin Pruitt, 837-0111, or sesports.org.
* St. Joseph tournament: St. Joseph Parish School of Scott City will hold its annual benefit golf tournament Friday at the Jaycee Municipal Golf Course in Cape Girardeau. Info: Donna Boyd, 264-4438.
* Young Life Ministry tournament: The Young Life Ministry golf tournament will take place Monday at Dalhousie Golf Club. Cost: $200 per person, which includes golf and lunch. Info: Rick Rivera, 335-8300.
* First tournament: The Southeast Missouri Horseshoe Association will host its first tournament today at the Leopold Knights of Columbus Hall. It will begin at 1 p.m., and proceeds will be donated to Relay for Life.
* Southeast Walk for Women's Athletics: The inaugural Walk for Women's Athletics will be held Saturday. All proceeds from the event will benefit the women's athletics scholarship program at Southeast. Info: 651-2227, 651-2997, firstname.lastname@example.org, or GoSoutheast.com.
* Southeast football party: The Southeast Missouri State football coaching staff will host a party for adults Saturday at Kimbeland Country Club in Jackson. It will begin at 6 p.m. There will be free food and drink and the Southeast coaching staff will be on hand.
* Jackson Barracuda registration: The Jackson Barracuda swim team will hold summer registration Saturday at the Riverside Library in Jackson. Registration will be from 1 to 4 p.m. A parents meeting will be held in May. Info: Chris Feeney, 243-0611.
Submit items by mail, fax or e-mail before noon each Wednesday to be included in the calendar.