- Two men accused of selling meth to undercover cop (6/22/17)
- Cape man stabbed in head, arm after strip-club incident; skull fractured, police say (6/25/17)3
- Police: Man grabbed wheel, tried to kill driver and himself in Jackson crash (6/23/17)
- Jackson scores high in survey of residents; better streets, Aldi are high priorities (6/20/17)4
- Marble Hill mayor hires city manager without board approval (6/21/17)4
- Annual SEMO District Fair event lineup announced (6/23/17)1
- Oran town board fired officer before hiring him as police chief; city officials say they can't remember reason for firing (6/25/17)2
- Two charged in theft of jewelry from Cape storage facility (6/23/17)1
- Playing with fire (6/25/17)
- Judge denies request to revoke sheriff's bond (6/25/17)3
A walk on the river
Visitors to Cape Girardeau's riverfront will have better access to riverboats and river views thanks to the addition of a river walk along the Mississippi River.
The city's project extended the existing Riverfront Park built in the 1980s. The project created a concrete walkway that runs 750 feet north of the Broadway floodgate and 923 feet south from the Themis Street gate.
The south expansion features steps to approach the river, while the north expansion has large platforms near the floodwall to view the river.
The city's fuel docking area -- the only one between St. Louis and Memphis -- also has been improved as part of the river walk project.
City planners hope visitors will use both areas to get a better view of the river. Benches also are available for people who like to sit awhile and watch the river's traffic.
Cape Girardeau has done a fine job of redeveloping its riverfront area for both visitors and residents who like to glimpse the mighty Mississippi or watch barges travel by.
A federal grant paid for a big part of the project. And while the improvements are a grand addition to the riverfront, the project isn't quite complete. Decorative lights will be added later this summer to bring even more ambiance to the riverfront. Cape Girardeau is building its image as a riverfront community worth visiting.