- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Community briefs 5/27
Boys and Girls Club prepares for open house
The Cape Girardeau Boys and Girls Club will hold an open house today from 4 to 6 p.m. Information about the summer camp program will be available. The camp will be from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. June 1 to 31. The Boys and Girls Club, Family Resource Center and Salvation Army will join together for an out-of-town field trip during the camp. For information, call 335-7141.
Free lunch program available through summer
The East Missouri Action Agency is sponsoring free lunches for children 18 or younger during the summer each weekday. Locations and times are: Alternative Education Center from 11:30 a.m. to noon Thursday through June 10; Blanchard Elementary School from 11 to 11:40 a.m. Friday through June 18; Central Middle School from 11:45 to 12:15 p.m. Friday through June 18 and from 11 to 11:20 a.m. Friday through June 25; Salvation Army from 11:45 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. June 14 to July 29; Family Resource Center from 1 to 2 p.m. June 14 to Aug. 6; Cape Girardeau Boys and Girls Club from noon to 12:45 p.m. June 1 to July 31; Washington Park from noon to 1 p.m. today through Aug. 6; and Red Star Baptist Church from 11:30 to noon each Tuesday and Thursday from June 8 to July 15. Adults can buy a meal at any location for $1.
Parents without Partners plans June events
The Parents without Partners organization will sponsor several events during June. Line dancing lessons are planned for each Wednesday night from 7 to 9 p.m. at the Circle C. The group will play miniature golf at Arena Park Golf from 2 to 4 p.m. June 6. For more information on this event, call 334-5762. A party for new members will begin at 6:30 p.m. June 12. On June 13, a picnic with folk music is on tap at Bollinger Mill State Historic Site from 4 to 9 p.m. For more information on other events, call 335-0797.
Retired teachers club meeting on tap
Missouri Retired Teachers will hold its last meeting of the summer at 9:30 a.m. June 2 at Chateau Girardeau. At the meeting, an MRTA report will be given and an installation of officers will take place.
National FCE observes Day of Family
The Cape Girardeau County Commission recently declared May 15 as National FCE Day of Family in the county. The FCE club members purchased children's books in honor of the proclamation and distributed the books to new mothers in the region.
-- From staff reports