- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)7
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)38
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Spirit of America Award - Patriotic nominations
The love of freedom is at the heart of America. To showcase that spirit, the Southeast Missourian is sponsoring the Spirit of America Award and will publish a Spirit of America edition on July 2 with stories about patriotic and veterans organizations.
Clubs and organizations may nominate individuals who best represent the spirit of America. The organization that nominates the winner will receive a $1,000 cash award for its activities.
Nomination forms have appeared in the newspaper on Sundays and beginning in June will appear daily. The deadline for nominations is June 18.
The five finalists will appear in the Spirit of America edition of the newspaper. The winner will be announced at Cape Girardeau's Libertyfest on July 4.
Readers can submit 250-word essays on the topic "Why I love America." Essays can be sent to: Southeast Missourian, Sam Blackwell, P.O. Box 699, Cape Girardeau, Mo. 63702, or by e-mail to sblackwell@ semissourian.com. The deadline is June 24.
The essays also will be included in the Spirit of America edition.
-- Southeast Missourian