- Marble Hill fires entire sewer department (8/23/16)4
- Ex-Southeast student gets probation for placing homemade sex video on porn site without woman's knowledge (8/24/16)12
- Witness says he saw man shoot Domorlo McCaster (8/19/16)2
- Southeast imposes 'interim suspension' of Sigma Nu fraternity over vandalism incident (8/19/16)21
- The Chrome Queens (8/21/16)2
- Pitmasters to descend on Arena Park for Cape BBQ Fest (8/19/16)2
- Local private school dreams bigger, plans for new building at Sprigg and Lexington (8/22/16)
- Bootheel lawmaker seeks probe into crop damage by illegal herbicide spraying (8/24/16)1
- Newsmakers 2016: Jason Bandermann (8/15/16)
- Gender-neutral restrooms now available at Southeast (8/18/16)38
Only total victory will ensure peace
To the editor:
Over the past few weeks I have heard many people complaining about the mess in Iraq. The rumblings have been stirred up by U.S. politicians wanting power and by the liberal media seeking a larger audience to influence.
I have come up with several reasons we are at war: American hostages in Iran in 1979. Marine barracks bombed in Beirut in 1983. Iran-Iraq war and weapons of mass destruction used by Iraq. Gulf War and Iraq invading Kuwait. Cease-fire agreement violated over 14 times. First World Trade Center bombing by Islamic terrorists. USS Cole bombing. Hezbollah and Hamas given asylum in Syria and Iraq. Oklahoma City bombing ties with Saddam Hussein are becoming clearer. Embassy bombings in Africa. World Trade Center destruction on Sept. 11, 2001.
That list shows that many in the Islamic world have been at war with us for decades even if we chose not to acknowledge it.
The enemy is at war with us whether we want it or not. If we pull out of Iraq, the enemy will have more time to launch attacks here at home.
Any withdrawal now is by definition a surrender. We are Americans, and surrender is not in our vocabulary. We must stand behind our president and our military and quit all this second guessing.
As General Sherman said, "War is hell," but without complete, overwhelming victory, peace will not be achieved
B. DUANE ADEN