- Business notebook: Cape native goes from farm to mobile-food operation (3/20/17)1
- Three out, including city administrator, at Scott City; two resigned, one fired (3/16/17)1
- Several tournaments already booked at Sportsplex (3/16/17)6
- Legal discrimination complaint, ethics complaint filed in Scott City government (3/22/17)10
- Former Scott City administrator: 'I was forced to resign' (3/21/17)6
- Cairo man pleads guilty to bank murders (3/17/17)1
- Two people found dead in Advance house fire (3/21/17)
- Triplett manslaughter case set for July 2018 (3/21/17)2
- Two local lawmakers back charter school bill; Perryville lawmaker objects to measure (3/19/17)21
- Two Cape men charged with second-degree murder of Grandi (3/21/17)2
Bomb at Muslim shrine in Bangladesh kills two
DHAKA, Bangladesh -- A bomb exploded during noon prayers Friday at a Muslim shrine in northeastern Bangladesh, killing two Bangladeshi men and wounding about 100 people, including the British ambassador, police and witnesses said. British High Commissioner Anwar Choudhury was taken to Osmani Medical College Hospital in Sylhet. He suffered an injury to his right leg that did not appear to be serious, the Bangladesh Foreign Ministry said in a statement. Choudhury was flown to the capital, Dhaka, by military helicopter after his treatment. Choudhury, a 44-year-old Bangladeshi-born Briton, was visiting the shrine after assuming his post last week. No one claimed responsibility for the blast at the Hazrat Shahjalal shrine in Sylhet, 120 miles northeast of Dhaka, a police official said on condition of anonymity.
No arrests have been made. Prime Minister Khaleda Zia conveyed her sympathy to the wounded and ordered an immediate investigation.
In London, British Foreign Secretary Jack Straw said he was "shocked" by the attack. He said he had no further details of the incident.
In January, a bomb killed five worshippers at the shrine. Police had no suspects despite questioning more than 20 people detained after the blast.