10 years ago: May 16, 1994
Congregation of La Croix United Methodist Church broke ground yesterday for its facility; service was held in evening at property site on Lexington, two blocks east of North Kingshighway.
City council appoints minimum property standards review committee, which will have 60 days to produce recommended draft for council; committee is made up of Charles Cupchella, Michael Sterling, Brian Shelton, Carol Drummond, Richard Bollwerk, Dorothy Hardy and Barbara Horn.
25 years ago: May 16, 1979
After 10 years of planning and several unsuccessful funding attempts by administration at Southeast Missouri State University, school's board of regents votes to accept bids totaling nearly $800,000 for construction of three-story west wing on Serena Industrial and Technical Education building, one of oldest structures on campus.
Strike is imposed by three construction trade unions shutting down number of Southeast Missouri building projects.
50 years ago: May 16, 1954
Cape Girardeau Singing Convention is held in afternoon at West Side Church of God; two hours of gospel singing feature Bill Redman and Harmonaires Quartet from Hickman, Ky.; president of convention is Ernest Baker.
Mrs. Sam S. Lail of Cape Girardeau is elected state regent at annual convention in St. Louis of Daughters of Isabell of Missouri, organization of 5,000 Catholic women in 30 circles in state; she has been vice regent since 1952.
75 years ago: May 16, 1929
Employees of Frisco Railroad continue work on stretch of track near passenger station on riverfront at Cape Girardeau, but denial is made from official sources that any increase in elevation of rails of any magnitude is contemplated.
State highway department will proceed with improvement of Highway 61 near Jackson as quickly as right of way for approved route of road is secured.
-- Sharon K. Sanders