- Obama shortens sentence of inmate from Cape (1/19/17)9
- Jackson police describe night of anger, car crashes, drug possession by 18-year-old (1/22/17)5
- Business notebook: Jackson salon owner also opens a clothing store (1/16/17)
- Area hospitals hope a box helps prevent infant deaths (1/19/17)6
- Meat-processing plant faces $70K penalty for Clean Water Act violations (1/17/17)4
- Local students to perform with choir at inauguration (1/19/17)3
- Southeast to lose $3.5 million from state in budget cuts (1/18/17)21
- Subjects of interest in 1992 killing take polygraph tests; results not revealed (1/18/17)2
- Governor cuts $146 million, colleges take hit (1/17/17)
- Comedian, cancer survivor Tom Green headlines sold-out Cancer Center benefit (1/22/17)
Some responses to Speak Out
To the editor:
Here are some random thoughts for Speak Out participants:
The Missouri Legislature didn't pass a new tax on the St. Louis Post-Dispatch and Kansas City Star. It ended a sales-tax credit.
Calling state Rep. Jason Crowell "out of control" and state Rep. Rod Jetton, a former U.S. Marine, a "threat to our country and freedom " is just absurd.
What makes anyone conclude that everyone in favor of keeping the Southeast Missouri State University Indian as a mascot is a knee-jerk conservative?
As a sixth-generation Missourian, I apologize for what my great-great-great-great-grandparents may have done to the Mormons. I also want monetary reparations from the Egyptians for holding my Jewish ancestors in slavery.
Just which critical countries has President Bush alienated? The ones being indicted in the oil-for-food scandal? The ones that sold illegal weapons to Saddam? Syria, whose citizens were arrested this week in Jordan attempting to detonate an explosive chemical weapon that was estimated to have been able to kill 20,000 people? Or the ones with dictators who are sending insurgents to fight against a free Iraq and blow up little children on their school buses?