- Two men seriously hurt in crash near Fruitland (9/21/16)3
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)7
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
- Funeral procession of former Cape Girardeau police chief Henry H. Gerecke (9/22/16)17
- Cape man accused of attacking pregnant girlfriend (9/22/16)
- Driver charged with manslaughter in crash that killed 2 (9/27/16)
- Show Me Center upgrades may allow facility to draw more elaborate shows (9/21/16)17
- Man convicted of Perryville convenience-store heist (9/21/16)
- Planning, design puts renovations of H-H building into hotel on hold (9/26/16)4
Dr. Kasten gave me a normal life
To the editor:
I was deeply saddened to learn of the passing of Dr. Melvin Kasten. It is by the grace of God and the medical expertise of Dr. Kasten that I am able to write this letter today.
At the age of 5, in 1960, my skull was severely crushed in a freak accident. Dr. Kasten performed the surgery that not only saved my life, but allowed me to live a normal life. Following my release from the hospital, Dr. Kasten referred me to a neurosurgeon in St. Louis to determine whether placement of a steel plate in my head was needed. Upon review of the post-accident X-rays, the neurosurgeon commented to my parents that the surgery performed by Dr. Kasten was "the most expert piece of surgery" he'd ever seen performed.
I'll never forget a football game against Cape Central in Charleston in 1972. I suffered a severe ankle sprain and was assisted to the locker room. Within minutes, I noticed someone enter the locker room, and it was none other than Dr. Kasten coming in to check on my well-being.
The last time I talked with him was during one of his stays in the hospital when my father happened to be hospitalized. I told him he was one of my heroes, and I could see a tear come to his eye. I thank God we got to have that conversation, and I thank God for Dr. Melvin Kasten.
HUBERT (JUNIOR) DELAY JR.
Mississippi County Clerk