- Business notebook: Cape salon picked as one of nation's top 200 (4/17/17)
- Man out on bond for alleged molestation of boys charged with abusing girl (4/18/17)
- Pilot House goes smoke-free (4/23/17)10
- New policy for semissourian.com online commentary: No pseudonyms (4/17/17)59
- Without city record, Marie Street residents on hook for thousands in sewer repairs (4/19/17)7
- Going the distance: Several locals participate in Boston Marathon (4/18/17)2
- Event includes the first public tour of 200-year-old Elmwood Manor (4/23/17)3
- Cape councilman Bob Fox to run for mayor (4/21/17)5
- Deputy: Man kicked, broke uncle's ribs after yard-work dispute (4/19/17)
- Scott County: M Kay Supply in Benton fills unique needs in community (4/14/17)
Dr. Kasten gave me a normal life
To the editor:
I was deeply saddened to learn of the passing of Dr. Melvin Kasten. It is by the grace of God and the medical expertise of Dr. Kasten that I am able to write this letter today.
At the age of 5, in 1960, my skull was severely crushed in a freak accident. Dr. Kasten performed the surgery that not only saved my life, but allowed me to live a normal life. Following my release from the hospital, Dr. Kasten referred me to a neurosurgeon in St. Louis to determine whether placement of a steel plate in my head was needed. Upon review of the post-accident X-rays, the neurosurgeon commented to my parents that the surgery performed by Dr. Kasten was "the most expert piece of surgery" he'd ever seen performed.
I'll never forget a football game against Cape Central in Charleston in 1972. I suffered a severe ankle sprain and was assisted to the locker room. Within minutes, I noticed someone enter the locker room, and it was none other than Dr. Kasten coming in to check on my well-being.
The last time I talked with him was during one of his stays in the hospital when my father happened to be hospitalized. I told him he was one of my heroes, and I could see a tear come to his eye. I thank God we got to have that conversation, and I thank God for Dr. Melvin Kasten.
HUBERT (JUNIOR) DELAY JR.
Mississippi County Clerk