- How to save a life: Lifeguards resuscitated young girl at Cape Splash (8/17/17)2
- Woman's post about 'Back the Blue' sign in Jackson coffee shop prompts firing from nearby bar (8/15/17)11
- Chaffee man charged with attempting to have ex-wife killed (8/20/17)3
- Former Chaffee officer faces DWI charge (8/20/17)2
- Scott City school chief gets raise, while some teachers don't (8/17/17)6
- PBS crew filming in Cape; Glenn House to be featured (8/17/17)
- Jumbo size: Rhodes 101 sets a world record with 15-foot, 4,700 gallon drinking cup (8/21/17)3
- Scott City Council reinstates police chief (8/16/17)1
- Unions deliver signatures to block right-to-work in Missouri (8/20/17)40
- Woman dies in house fire in Cape Girardeau County (8/16/17)
Dr. Kasten gave me a normal life
To the editor:
I was deeply saddened to learn of the passing of Dr. Melvin Kasten. It is by the grace of God and the medical expertise of Dr. Kasten that I am able to write this letter today.
At the age of 5, in 1960, my skull was severely crushed in a freak accident. Dr. Kasten performed the surgery that not only saved my life, but allowed me to live a normal life. Following my release from the hospital, Dr. Kasten referred me to a neurosurgeon in St. Louis to determine whether placement of a steel plate in my head was needed. Upon review of the post-accident X-rays, the neurosurgeon commented to my parents that the surgery performed by Dr. Kasten was "the most expert piece of surgery" he'd ever seen performed.
I'll never forget a football game against Cape Central in Charleston in 1972. I suffered a severe ankle sprain and was assisted to the locker room. Within minutes, I noticed someone enter the locker room, and it was none other than Dr. Kasten coming in to check on my well-being.
The last time I talked with him was during one of his stays in the hospital when my father happened to be hospitalized. I told him he was one of my heroes, and I could see a tear come to his eye. I thank God we got to have that conversation, and I thank God for Dr. Melvin Kasten.
HUBERT (JUNIOR) DELAY JR.
Mississippi County Clerk