- Golden Corral coming to Cape; may hire 100 workers (7/21/16)10
- Woman sleeping in car accused of attacking Cape officer (7/26/16)13
- Area groups working together to reintroduce elk in Missouri (7/18/16)1
- Prosecutor says shooting by state trooper was justified (7/24/16)15
- Former Scott City mayor refutes claims made about loss of curbside recycling pickup (7/26/16)
- Burglary of trailer leaves its residents homeless (7/27/16)4
- Cape resident gets seven years in prison for shooting at man (7/26/16)1
- Hastings in Cape closing (7/22/16)5
- Foot plots provide habitats and nutrition to attract wildlife, grow populations (7/18/16)
- City may spend extra park tax money on Cape Splash, skate park, other projects (7/25/16)10
Dr. Kasten gave me a normal life
To the editor:
I was deeply saddened to learn of the passing of Dr. Melvin Kasten. It is by the grace of God and the medical expertise of Dr. Kasten that I am able to write this letter today.
At the age of 5, in 1960, my skull was severely crushed in a freak accident. Dr. Kasten performed the surgery that not only saved my life, but allowed me to live a normal life. Following my release from the hospital, Dr. Kasten referred me to a neurosurgeon in St. Louis to determine whether placement of a steel plate in my head was needed. Upon review of the post-accident X-rays, the neurosurgeon commented to my parents that the surgery performed by Dr. Kasten was "the most expert piece of surgery" he'd ever seen performed.
I'll never forget a football game against Cape Central in Charleston in 1972. I suffered a severe ankle sprain and was assisted to the locker room. Within minutes, I noticed someone enter the locker room, and it was none other than Dr. Kasten coming in to check on my well-being.
The last time I talked with him was during one of his stays in the hospital when my father happened to be hospitalized. I told him he was one of my heroes, and I could see a tear come to his eye. I thank God we got to have that conversation, and I thank God for Dr. Melvin Kasten.
HUBERT (JUNIOR) DELAY JR.
Mississippi County Clerk