- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
House concert with Hoyt features acoustic sounds
Singer-songwriter Robert Hoyt returns to Cape Girardeau today as part of the Underberg House Concert series. His acoustic music is infused with social commentary. He has released three albums. Hoyt's environmental activism is documented in the film "Travels With Claude." The performance will run from 7 to 9 p.m. A donation of $8 is recommended. For more information and directions, call 334-7692.
Sikeston Little Theater plans youth auditions
SIKESTON, Mo. -- The Sikeston Little Theater will hold auditions for its 2004 youth production at 7 p.m. today and at 2 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at the Albritton-Mayer Cultural Center at 506 S. Kingshighway. This year's production will be the musical comedy "Romeo Loves Juliet." To audition, children must be in grades three through 12. They should bring prepared sheet music or a recording for singing auditions. For further information, call Jennifer Chessor at 481-9296.
Benefit wine festival scheduled for today
The Community Counseling Center Foundation will hold a wine festival from 6 to 9 p.m. today at the Deerfield Lodge, 210 Deerfield Lane at Cape Girardeau County Road 313. Admission is $25 at the door. All proceeds will go to the foundation to improve facilities, equipment and services for people with mental illness. Ten Missouri wineries will be represented. Those attending will receive a wine glass they can use to sample the selection of wines. There also will be hors d'oeuvres and live music by Saxy Jazz.
Concert by Southeast Guitar Ensemble planned
A concert Monday by the Southeast Guitar Ensemble will feature large ensemble works by Georg Philipp Telemann and Manuel de Falla, Renaissance dances on lutes and baroque guitar, and "Concerto for Four Violins" by Telemann. The ensemble is directed by Jeffrey Noonan, director of the classical guitar program at Southeast Missouri State University. Members of the ensemble are Gabriel Deutsch, Akira Kanzawa, Patrick Rafferty, Kensuke Suzuki and Jason Weaver. The concert will begin at 8 p.m. in the Lutheran Chapel on the campus of the Southeast Missouri State University. For more information, contact the department of music at 651-2141
'Lord of the Dance' show will visit Show Me Center
Michael Flatley's "Lord of the Dance" is coming to the Show Me Center in Cape Girardeau May 19. Tickets go on sale Monday at the Show Me Center Box Office, at Schnuck's and PMac Music.
-- From staff reports