- Jackson man to cast electoral vote for Trump; others trying to dissuade him (11/29/16)51
- Man killed by vehicle had been charged with domestic assault (11/30/16)
- Former Cape council member dies, remembered as 'wonderful public servant' (11/29/16)1
- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)25
- Woman accused in three robberies disguised herself as man (11/29/16)5
- Business notebook: New store shows faith in Scott City district (11/28/16)
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Missouri chamber to honor Cape's John Mehner (11/30/16)6
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Men who pulled father, son from burning car near Naylor honored by highway patrol (12/1/16)
Mascot change isn't needed
To the editor:
In my opinion, a mascot change for Southeast Missouri State University is superfluous. Certainly sensitivity should not be overlooked, but the deluge of political correctness commentary in our society has reached the ridiculous.
Many factors need to be considered before a final decision is made regarding this issue. Consider the cost, public opinion and the abandonment of honoring our heritage.
I fervently hope that when a final decision is made, it will not be an impetuous one.