- Obama shortens sentence of inmate from Cape (1/19/17)9
- Jackson police describe night of anger, car crashes, drug possession by 18-year-old (1/22/17)5
- Area hospitals hope a box helps prevent infant deaths (1/19/17)6
- A message from heaven (1/23/17)
- Local students to perform with choir at inauguration (1/19/17)3
- Southeast to lose $3.5 million from state in budget cuts (1/18/17)21
- Subjects of interest in 1992 killing take polygraph tests; results not revealed (1/18/17)2
- Meat-processing plant faces $70K penalty for Clean Water Act violations (1/17/17)4
- Area residents among those attending inauguration, women's march (1/22/17)91
- Comedian, cancer survivor Tom Green headlines sold-out Cancer Center benefit (1/22/17)
Mascot change isn't needed
To the editor:
In my opinion, a mascot change for Southeast Missouri State University is superfluous. Certainly sensitivity should not be overlooked, but the deluge of political correctness commentary in our society has reached the ridiculous.
Many factors need to be considered before a final decision is made regarding this issue. Consider the cost, public opinion and the abandonment of honoring our heritage.
I fervently hope that when a final decision is made, it will not be an impetuous one.