- Krispy Kreme coming to Cape Girardeau (12/14/17)2
- Light and music show: Jackson family goes high-tech with Christmas display (12/11/17)
- Two Cape County residents, including former Jackson police officer, face burglary charges in Colorado (12/12/17)
- Cape schools to get two new principals, assistant superintendent (12/13/17)1
- Kelso resident brings home $60K in lottery winnings (12/14/17)
- Three-vehicle wreck ends up with parked car crashing through business wall (12/16/17)3
- Insurance building's renovation part of Coalter family's commitment to region (12/15/17)3
- New regents president named after Knudtson decides not to seek second term (12/18/17)
- Southeast rings bell for 807 December graduates (12/18/17)
Mascot change isn't needed
To the editor:
In my opinion, a mascot change for Southeast Missouri State University is superfluous. Certainly sensitivity should not be overlooked, but the deluge of political correctness commentary in our society has reached the ridiculous.
Many factors need to be considered before a final decision is made regarding this issue. Consider the cost, public opinion and the abandonment of honoring our heritage.
I fervently hope that when a final decision is made, it will not be an impetuous one.