- Police: Cape man kidnapped woman, then raped, assaulted her (06/30/16)7
- Many Jackson students may face random drug-testing (06/26/16)30
- Jackson man accused of felony assault after attack at Cape bar (06/26/16)7
- Four men accused of roles in three robberies (06/29/16)3
- Coroner asks for grand jury in Poplar Bluff fatal hit-and-run case (06/28/16)1
- Southeast president to get his U.S. citizenship July 4 (06/30/16)32
- Cape murderer still will serve 2 life sentences; appeals court forced reduced charge (06/30/16)
- Cape detective who helped solve Krajcir case is retiring (06/28/16)8
- Officials: Ash borer less of a problem here than in St. Louis (06/27/16)
- Business notebook: Melting Co. adds to Cape's food-truck fleet (06/27/16)
Writer should get his own opinions
To the editor:
You printed a guest column by Nick Swan of the Daily Helmsman titled "Is this what the Dems call electable?" Is this what the Daily Helmsman and the Southeast Missourian call journalism? From what I can tell, Swan's only source of information was the home page of the Republican National Committee's Web site. There is little detectable difference between what Swan wrote in his column and what the spin doctor clones at the RNC were droning on about on the cable news programs regarding John Kerry, the apparent Democratic presidential nominee, during the previous week.
What does Swan study at the University of Memphis? Please don't say journalism. I realize this is an Opinion page, but Swan may want to use his university education to get an opinion of his own rather than cutting and pasting the politically biased opinions of others. There's more news and more perspectives out there on what it all means to us as Americans then you will ever hear from Rush Limbaugh, David Limbaugh and Fox News.