- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Neighbors mystified over why man was killed by state trooper (05/03/16)22
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- 'American Pickers' visits Poplar Bluff (04/29/16)
Saxony Village completes phase 3 expansion
Saxony Village, a sprawling retirement community off Bloomfield Road in Cape Girardeau, has completed the third phase of its expansion. Construction began about one and one-half years ago and finished in January when the exercise pool opened.
The new 3-story addition contains 39 apartments. There's a new dining room that seats 56, a well-furbished room for those waiting to dine, a library, and an exercise room with Nautilus weight machine, treadmills and other exercise equipment.
With the completion of phase three, Saxony Village has 150 residents who live in 87 apartments and 44 duplexes. About 49 employees work there.
Scott Sprandel, Saxony Village manager, said the current Lutheran Home campus, of which Saxony Village is a part of, very closely mirrors the blueprint drawn up in 1969 when the land was purchased.
"There were apartments and duplexes on the original plot plan," said Sprandel.
Phase one, completed in 1996, started with 24 apartments, a dining room, lounge, beauty shop, activity center and exercise room. Phase two, completed in 1999, added 24 more apartments. The first duplexes were built in 1994.
Sprandel said construction of the second dining room means 114 people can be seated at the same time. There are also two banquet rooms that can be used for private parties.
The new library is staffed by a group of resident volunteers, many of who have library experience. They decide what books to put on the shelves, and they are involved in donations of books.
The 8-by-12-foot exercise pool is supervised by a wellness coordinator.
The 39 new apartments range from one bedroom and one bath to two bedrooms and two baths. The living space can be as much as 1,038 square feet. There are 12 different floor plans of apartments.
"Due to demand for more apartments, we opened up a part of the latest expansion about a year ago," said Sprandel. "Other parts were opened last September, and it was completely opened when the pool was finished in January."