- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)30
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)7
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)8
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Perry County: A great place to find home away from home (10/14/16)
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- Crews are working on the new Drury Hotel (10/21/16)4
Explanation due to U.S. taxpayers
To the editor:
A recent letter to the editor by Harold Reed claims we are in Iraq to bring freedom to the Iraqi people. I find this unbelievable.
Iraq is in anarchy. During the last week we've seen the beginnings of a real resistance movement against the American occupation.
Even though many Iraqis appreciate getting rid of Saddam Hussein, they don't seem to appreciate being occupied by a Western power bent on setting up permanent military bases and controlling their oil.
I'd like to know why it is the job of the American taxpayer to fund getting rid of certain dictators (and not others). This is an especially strange excuse for war when you consider that we created Saddam Hussein in the first place.
We need to stop interfering in other countries. It is not the place of the U.S. military or the U.S. taxpayers to bring some supposed freedom to others, especially when it's just an excuse to play empire. Our military exists to protect us, not interfere in other countries.
First we were told it was weapons of mass destruction and the terrorist threat. Then we were told there were no WMDs or terrorist connection. Then it was "bringing freedom and democracy to Iraq." Now everyone except Fox News viewers knows that this excuse is falling apart too. Just wait until the first local boy comes home in a bag. President Bush has no clothes, and U.S. Rep. Jo Ann Emerson needs to give us some real explanations.