- Golden Corral coming to Cape; may hire 100 workers (7/21/16)7
- Arrest warrants filed for six drug suspects in Cape (7/19/16)6
- Area groups working together to reintroduce elk in Missouri (7/18/16)1
- Pincksten's newest renovation project: 328 S. Spanish St. (7/17/16)6
- Suspect in downtown Cape shooting ID'd in court (7/20/16)2
- Trooper-involved homicide case rests in prosecutor's hands (7/17/16)15
- Jackson's former police dog euthanized Monday (7/21/16)1
- Hastings in Cape closing (7/22/16)4
- Governor signs Rep. Swan bill that equalizes child-custody criteria (7/6/16)5
- Jackson roundabout on schedule, on budget (7/19/16)7
Explanation due to U.S. taxpayers
To the editor:
A recent letter to the editor by Harold Reed claims we are in Iraq to bring freedom to the Iraqi people. I find this unbelievable.
Iraq is in anarchy. During the last week we've seen the beginnings of a real resistance movement against the American occupation.
Even though many Iraqis appreciate getting rid of Saddam Hussein, they don't seem to appreciate being occupied by a Western power bent on setting up permanent military bases and controlling their oil.
I'd like to know why it is the job of the American taxpayer to fund getting rid of certain dictators (and not others). This is an especially strange excuse for war when you consider that we created Saddam Hussein in the first place.
We need to stop interfering in other countries. It is not the place of the U.S. military or the U.S. taxpayers to bring some supposed freedom to others, especially when it's just an excuse to play empire. Our military exists to protect us, not interfere in other countries.
First we were told it was weapons of mass destruction and the terrorist threat. Then we were told there were no WMDs or terrorist connection. Then it was "bringing freedom and democracy to Iraq." Now everyone except Fox News viewers knows that this excuse is falling apart too. Just wait until the first local boy comes home in a bag. President Bush has no clothes, and U.S. Rep. Jo Ann Emerson needs to give us some real explanations.