Out of the past 4/10/04
Saturday, April 10, 2004
10 years ago: April 10, 1994
The Rev. Charles B. Dreyer has been called as interim pastor at First Presbyterian Church; he will begin his duties May 1; Dreyer and his wife, Betsy, are coming here from Hendersonville, Tenn.
New Cape Girardeau organization will pool resources of churches to address "problems of the homeless, youth and the elderly"; president of Black Ministers Coalition for Progress is the Rev. William Bird, pastor of Futrell Temple Church of God in Christ.
25 years ago: April 10, 1979
Selective, nationwide strike of Teamsters Union truckers not only has shut down some of major haulers in this area, but has also resulted in some food shortages in Cape Girardeau district.
Plans for riverfront festival to be held June 30 are being developed by Chamber of Commerce Tourism Council; event will coincide with docking of Delta Queen.
50 years ago: April 10, 1954
In aftermath of Tuesday's school election, Cape Girardeau Board of Education was reorganized last night; Dr. A.C. Magill was re-elected president and Mrs. H.B. Newman was re-elected vice president; Elizabeth Walther was again appointed secretary of board; Carlston A. Bohnsack asked to be relieved of treasurer's duties, and those responsibilities went to Oliver A. Hope.
Five thousand fish have been placed in Big and Little Whitewater rivers by Missouri Conservation Commission in cooperation with Cape Girardeau Chapter of Conservation Federation of Missouri; fish, largely bluegill and other species of perch, were released at Hartle's Ford west of Millersville in Little Whitewater, and east of Sedgewickville in Big Whitewater.
75 years ago: April 10, 1929
Mississippi River likely will reach higher stage at Cape Girardeau by latter part of week than at any previous time this year; recent heavy rains in upper Mississippi River Valley are expected to send stream higher.
Plans for new, large service garage building to be built on west side of North Ellis Street, just north of Broadway, are announced by Reither and Lindsay, local architects.
-- Sharon K. Sanders