Incident leaves one under arrest, two injured

Monday, April 5, 2004

An on-going conflict lasted nearly an hour early Sunday morning, starting at the Phat Cat on Broadway and ending at St. Francis Medical Center.

In the end, one person was arrested, an officer was assaulted and two people were injured in a motor vehicle accident.

A 16-year-old juvenile of Cape Girardeau was arrested and has been charged with three Class A misdemeanor accounts of interference of lawful detention, assault on a law enforcement officer and resisting arrest by fleeing.

The Cape Girardeau Police Department responded to a 1:11 a.m. call Sunday that reported a disturbance at the Phat Cat, 731 Broadway. Upon arrival, officers discovered a fight had broken out in the parking lot of Dollar General at 724 Broadway. A crowd of 200 to 250 people had gathered, said police officers. The Missouri State Highway Patrol, the Southeast Missouri State University Department of Public Safety and the Cape Girardeau County Sheriff's Department were called in to assist.

Pepper spray was used, said police officers.

Patrolman Jeffery Bourbon was in the process of detaining an individual when the juvenile allegedly came up and shoved the officer. The juvenile then reportedly fled and a K-9 officer and his dog were used to apprehend him.

The juvenile is now in the Cape Girardeau City Jail pending transportation to the Cape Girardeau County Jail. A bond has been set at $2,500 cash only.

Investigations into the incident are on-going. The case will likely be handled by the criminal division, said Sgt. Kevin Orr.

In a related incident, driver James Olie Dickson, 21, and passenger Andrew Jackson, 21, both of Cape Girardeau, received serious injuries from a two-vehicle accident at Morgan Oak and Ellis. Both were transported to St. Francis Medical Center.

Dickson was treated for injuries to the face and right leg. Jackson was treated for injuries to the face and head and reportedly a leg, arm and some fingers.

The driver of the second vehicle, Clayton James Willis, 22, of Cape Girardeau, was reported to have left the scene and investigators are still searching for him.

The accident occurred when Dickson's 1984 Oldsmobile Delta 88 ran a stop sign and struck Willis' 1992 Mercury Grand Marquis, according to police reports. Dickson's vehicle then crashed into a house at 402 S. Ellis. Officers responded at 1:28 a.m. Sunday to the scene and had to break up another crowd involving individuals from the earlier incident at Dollar General. Filing of charges are pending.

In the final related incident, members of the the same crowd reportedly followed the injured to St. Francis Medical Center and officers responded at about 2:30 a.m. to disperse the crowd.

The juvenile was the only person arrested by officers during the incidences. However, more charges could be filed on other individuals at a later date, said police officers.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: