- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)36
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
MOUNDS, Ill. -- Vurtis Josephine Moreland, 91, of Mounds. died Friday, April 2, 2004, at the Cobden City Care Center in Cobden, Ill.
She was born March 15, 1913, in Johnson County, Ill., daughter of William Marshall and Mary Ellen Dunn File. She and Rich F. Moreland were married. He died March 7, 1959.
She was a nursing assistant.
Survivors include two daughters, Marchetta DeWitt of Cobden, Glenda Smith of Marion, Ill.; five grandchildren; seven great-grandchildren; and one stepgreat-grandchild.
She was preceded in death by three brothers, a sister and a great grandchild.
There will be no visitation or funeral service. Moreland's re-quest was for her body to be donated to the SIU School of Medical Sciences and Research in Carbondale, Ill.
Jones Funeral Home in Villa Ridge, Ill., was in charge of arrangements.