- 3 charged with burglarizing Scott City bar (10/14/16)4
- West Park Mall to be closed Thanksgiving (10/14/16)2
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- Perry County: A great place to find home away from home (10/14/16)
- Tours provide a glimpse of Cape Girardeau's supposedly haunted past (10/17/16)1
- Cape Girardeau County: A great place to grab a bite (10/14/16)1
- Man charged after cops try to cuff him in his sleep (10/14/16)9
- Three weeks and then what? (10/18/16)1
- Suspected attacker of Southeast student apprehended (10/19/16)5
- Mom jailed with daughter after mailing drug to her (10/16/16)
Students excel in drama
To the editor:
A March 19 Speak Out comment was brought to my attention. The individual described the drama department at Jackson High School as being in a "downward spiral." Since I am, in essence, the drama department at JHS, I feel obligated to respond.
Well over 30 students were involved with our spring DramaFest, both on stage and behind the scenes. The plays were rehearsed for many weeks. It is an insult to their hard work to suggest that the production was not created in a "developed atmosphere." Our activities include a competitive speech and debate team that has placed first in district competition for the past two years. We have taken two productions to the state competition and this summer plan to send a delegation to the International Thespian Festival. This will be a first for JHS.
I would invite this individual to contact me personally if he would like to join me in developing our program.