- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)39
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Sheriff to accept applications for conceal-carry permit
PERRYVILLE, Mo. -- Perry County Sheriff Gary J. Schaaf says his office will begin accepting applications for conceal-carry permits beginning Wednesday and Thursday.
Schaaf said he will have enough personnel on staff those two days to accommodate the extra work. If the process goes well, he will consider taking them on a regular basis "at some point in the future," he said.
Schaaf's decision comes after the Cape Girardeau County Sheriff's Office began issuing conceal/carry permits last week. Some departments have hesitated in making the permits available on the advice of the Missouri Sheriffs Association.
"The law has passed and was affirmed by the Missouri Supreme Court some time ago," Schaaf said. "A number of people have been rather anxious to get started. It is, after all, the law now."
Applicants in Perry County must have taken and passed a safety course and bring their certificate with them when applying. They must also bring a money order made out to the Missouri State Highway Patrol for $38 to cover the cost of the background check.
In addition, they must bring a check or money order for $62 made out to the Perry County Sheriff's Office to help cover the expenses for hardware, software, postage and personnel.