- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Area sports calendar 4/10/08
* Boys tournament: The Chaffee boys 13-year olds tournament will take place May 15 to 18 at the Chaffee Horman field. It will be a double-elimination tournament. Cost: $175 per team. Info: Mike or Tina Johnson, 318-9063 or 318-6054.
* American Legion tryout: The Jackson American Legion tryouts will be held April 20 at American Legion Field in Jackson. The tryouts are open to boys between the ages 14 and 19. The eighth- and ninth-grade tryout will be at 1 p.m., the sophomores will try out at 2:30 p.m., the junior, senior and college will try out at 3:30 p.m. The rain makeup date is April 27. Info: Gerald Adams, 243-4199, or Mark Lewis, 979-0286.
* Cardinals road trip: The Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department will host its eighth annual St. Louis Cardinals game day. It will be July 6 against the Chicago Cubs, with the first pitch scheduled for 2:15 p.m. Cost: $25 per ticket, which are located in the infield terrace reserved level. There is an additional $17 charge for those planning to ride to the game via charter bus. The bus will leave the Osage Community Centre at 10:15 a.m. and should return around 7 p.m. Info or to register: Parks and Recreation Department, 335-5421.
* MAYB tournament: Southeast Youth Sports will host its annual MAYB basketball tournament in Cape Girardeau and Jackson on April 26 and 27. The tournament is open to boys and girls in grades 3 through 12. Cost: $150 for a minimum of three games. Info: Darrin Pruitt, 837-0111, or sesports.org.
* Hot shot contest: The Scott City Park Department will host its seventh annual boys and girls hot shot contest Saturday at the Assembly of God Church on Dearborn Street. Info: Park office, 264-2322.
* Skills camps: Jackson will hold skills camps for players between the ages 5 and 14. The first camp, which focuses on developing skills in dribbling, passing and shooting, will take place June 24 to June 27. It will run from 6 to 7:30 p.m. for ages 5 to 7, from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. for ages 8 to 10 and from 1 to 3 p.m. for ages 11 to 14. The second skills camp will run from July 28 to July 31. It will run from 8:30 to 10 a.m. for ages 5 to 7, from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. for ages 8 to 10 and from 1 to 3 p.m. for ages 11 to 14. Cost: $50 for each camp if player is preregistered, and $55 at the door for each camp. Info: Darrin Scott, 979-1454.
* Shooting camp: Jackson will host a shooting camp, directed by coach Cory Johnson, from July 14 to July 17. Players will be taught form and technique of shooting. It is open to players between the ages 10 and 16, and will run from 10 a.m. to noon. Cost: $50 if player is preregistered, and $55 at the door. Info: Darrin Scott, 979-1454.
* Velo Girardeau ride: The Velo Girardeau Cycling Club will host a 34-mile ride Sunday from Cape Girardeau to Tilsit. The group will leave from the Dempster Hall parking lot on the Southeast Missouri State campus at 1:30 p.m. Info: Chris Moore, 335-6402.
* Watch party: The Southeast Missouri Black and Gold chapter of the Mizzou Alumni Association will hold a watch party for the spring football game April 19 at Buffalo Wild Wings in Cape Girardeau. The party starts at 12:30 p.m. and kickoff is scheduled for 1 p.m. You do not have to be a member of the Mizzou Alumni Association to attend. There will be door prizes and giveaways for all in attendance. Info: Dale Gerecke, 334-0555.
* Shrine tournament: The Cape Shrine Club will host its 13th annual golf tournament May 16 at Bent Creek Golf Course. The tournament will use a four-person scramble format. Cost: $75 per person, which includes golf, cart and lunch. Deadline: May 5. Info: Eddie Schreiner, 243-5503.
* St. Joseph tournament: St. Joseph Parish School of Scott City will hold its annual benefit golf tournament April 25 at the Jaycee Municipal Golf Course in Cape Girardeau. Info: Donna Boyd, 264-4438.
* Southeast booster tournament: The Southeast Missouri State booster club will hold its 25th annual golf tournament May 5 at the Cape Girardeau Country Club. It will be an 18-hole, six-person scramble. Cost: $95 per individual, which includes greens fees, cart, food and beer. Deadline: April 30. Info: Joella, 651-2005.
* RSVP tournament: The 10th annual RSVP (Retired Senior Volunteer Program) golf tournament will be held July 18 at noon at the Cape Girardeau Jaycees Municipal Golf Course. It will be a four-person scramble. Cost: $240 per team or $60 per individual, which includes lunch, beer and other beverages. Info: 887-3664 or 335-7555.
* Network Against Sexual Violence tournament: The Southeast Missouri Network Against Sexual Violence will host its fourth annual Paul Boyd Children Charity Golf Tournament at Dalhousie Golf Club on May 5. Tee times are at 7:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. The four-person scramble benefits the Southeast Missouri Network Against Sexual Violence. Cost: $125 per player, which includes lunch, drinks and prizes. Deadline: May 1. Info: Kara Whitledge, 332-1900.
* Hope Fore Families tournament: Lutheran Family and Children's Services of Missouri will host its sixth annual Hope Fore Families golf tournament May 12 at Dalhousie Golf Club. The four-person scramble will have an 8 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. tee time. Cost: $110 per person for the morning tee time, $135 for the afternoon tee time. Registration: Melody Anderson, 334-5866.
* Young Life Ministry tournament: The Young Life Ministry golf tournament will take place April 21 at Dalhousie Golf Club. Cost: $200 per person, which includes golf and lunch. Info: Rick Rivera, 335-8300.
* Capahas auction: The Plaza Tire Capahas, believed to be the oldest amateur baseball team in the country, will hold their annual benefit auction April 19 at the American Legion Hall at 2731 Thomas Dr. in Cape Girardeau. Doors open at 8:30 a.m. and the auction begins at 9:30 a.m. Admission to the auction is free.
* Southeast Walk for Women's Athletics: The inaugural Walk for Women's Athletics will be held April 26. All proceeds from the event will benefit the women's athletics scholarship program at Southeast. Info: 651-2227, 651-2997, email@example.com, or GoSoutheast.com.
* Little Hearts Trail Run: Cross Trails Medical Center in Cape Girardeau will host the inaugural Little Hearts Trail Run, a 5K run/1-mile walk May 17. The event will benefit congenital heart defects. The event starts at 9 a.m. Cost: $20. Registration: online at active.com. Info: Patty Merkley, firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Saxony Lutheran camp: Saxony Lutheran High School will host a soccer camp for boys and girls in grades 1 through 8. The camp will run from June 9 to June 13 at the high school. It will be from 5 to 7 p.m. Deadline: May 2. Info: www. saxonylutheranhigh.org, select activities, then soccer, then print form.
* Special Olympics benefit: The Southeast Area Special Olympics will host a softball tournament June 21 at the Dexter Sports Complex. There will be a men's upper, men's lower and coed division. The tournament will use ASA rules of play and pitching regulations, ASA or NSA approved bats only and teams will use their own 44 core optic yellow balls. A 1/1 count will be used, no courtesy and home runs will be determined at coin toss. Cost: $100 per team. Info or to register: Karen Surface, 579-6428.
* Jackson Barracuda registration: The Jackson Barracuda swim team will hold summer registration April 19 and April 26 at the Riverside Library in Jackson. Registration will be from 1 to 4 p.m. A parents meeting will be held in May. Info: Chris Feeney, 243-0611.
Track and field
* Hershey's Track and Field Games: The Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department will host the 19th annual Hershey's Track and Field meet at the Central Junior High on May 21. The event begins at 5 p.m., with registration from 4 to 4:45 p.m. The event is open to boys and girls between the ages 9 and 14. Each participant may enter up to three events, with a maximum of two track events. Cost: $2.50 per child, and it's open to all children in Southeast Missouri. Winners advance to the state meet June 27 in Jefferson City. Info or to preregister: Jared Tanz, 335-5421.
* Steamboat Triathlon: The 24th annual Steamboat Classic Triathlon will take place April 27 at the Central Municipal Pool. The event will consist of a 450-meter serpentine swim, 15.5-mile bike ride over city and county roads and 5-mile run through commercial and residential areas. Cost: $40 for individuals and $45 for teams if registration postmarked by April 16; $50 for individuals and $55 for teams for registrants after April 16. Race day check-in begins at 6:30 a.m. and ends at 8 a.m. The event begins at 9 a.m. Info: Patrick Watson, 335-4040.
Submit items by mail, fax or e-mail before noon each Wednesday to be included in the calendar.