- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)31
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Turns for the better
S. Shawnee Blvd: Widened road, added left-turn lane at East Jackson Blvd. and removed stop signs at Old Cape Road. (Change was made by board of aldernmen in July.)
Gloria Dr.: Painted centerline stripe at Old Cape Road intersection. (Change made by street department in October.)
N. Lacey St.: Painted centerline stripe at Ridge Rd. intersection. (Change made by street department in October).
Donna Dr.: Install separate left-turn lane at E. Jackson Blvd. (MoDOT has given initial approval).
West Lane: Install separate left-turn lanes at W. Jackson Blvd. (changes to be made by MoDOT through Highway 34-72 project.)
The Jackson Board of Aldermen reviewed but decided not to make the following changes:
S. Missouri St./W. Adams St.: Establish a four-way stop.
Bainbridge Rd.: Increase speed limit from 30 mph to 35 mph from Old Cape Road to Oak Hill Rd.
Forest St.: Repeal stop sign at W. Independence/Olive St. and establish traffic to stop on Olive.
Orchard Dr.: Repeal four-way stop at N. West Lane intersection and established two-way stop control only on Orchard Dr.
The following short-term changes have been suggested but not yet pursued:
S. High St./Jefferston: Establish a four-way stop or switch the two-way stop control.
Francis Dr./Douglas St.: Establish three-way stop. Also on Francis, install sidewalks from Greensferry to N. High.
N. West Lane: Increase speed limit from 15 to 20 or 25 from Orchard Dr. to W. Jackson Blvd.
N. Union Ave.: Increase speed limit from 15 to 20 or 25 mph.
E. Jefferson St: Reduce speed limit from 30 to 20 mph from S. Hope to Old Cape Rd. at Immaculate Conception Campus. Also, install sidewalks at Immaculate Conception Campus.
East Lane: Increase speed limit from 20 to 25 mph from W. Jackson Blvd. to Orchard Dr.
East Main: Paint centerline stripe at Oak Hill Rd. intersection. Also, increase existing speed limit from 30 to 35 or 40 mph from Hope St. to Oak Hill Rd.
Old Cape Rd.: Paint centerline stripe at E. Jackson Blvdd. intersection.
N. Hope St.: Paint centerline stripe at Florence St. intersection and repeal truck route status from Washington to Florence.
Oak St.: Widen roadway from Broadrighe to N. West Lane to include school drop-off/pick-up areas. Also, increase speed limit from 15 to 25 mph from Rolling Fields Dr. to N. West Lane.
N. Farmington Rd.: Install sidewalks from Brown to W. Independence St.
Michael-Anna St.: Establish one-way traffic (northbound) from E. Jackson Blvd to Corinne St.
Gloria St.: Lower grade at E. Jackson Blvd intersection for better sight distance.
N. West Ln.: Install sidewalks from W. Jackson Blvd to Alpine St.
Veteran's Memorial Dr.: Repeal existing stop control and establish stop control on Goodson Dr.
Shawnee Blvd.: Increae speed limit from 30 to 35 or 40 mph from E. Jackson Blvd to Ridge Rd.
SOURCE: Rodney Bollinger, Jackson public works director