- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Central lets lead slip away
Central's Brooks Osburn had a strong day at the plate.
He went 3-for-4, including smashing a home run and a double, but the Tigers still fell to Poplar Bluff 6-5 on the road in baseball action Saturday.
The Mules scored two in the sixth and one in the seventh off Central reliever Blake Smith.
Tigers hurler Garrett Stevens started the game. He pitched into the sixth inning, giving up three runs, all earned, while scattering six hits and two walks. He struck out three.
Smith pitched 1 1/3 innings, surrendering three runs, two earned, on three hits. He had two strikeouts.
@z_agate_no tab_no indnt_bld ld:WP — Boles. LP — Blake Smith, 0-2. HR — Brooks Osburn (C). 2B — Osburn (C), Nick Allen (C), Pickard (P) 2. Multiple hits — Central: Osburn 3-4. Poplar Bluff: Pickard 3-4, Moore 2-3.
GIRLS SOCCER Notre Dame tourney
The host Bulldogs posted two wins to improve to 4-0 this season.
Notre Dame beat Sikeston 2-0 behind goals from Alyssa Ruopp and Courtney Luehmann. Shelley Frank made six saves to earn the shutout.
The Bulldogs followed that win with a 4-3 overtime victory against Marion, Ill. Kelsey Westrich scored twice while Anna Wren and Taylor Sanders added one apiece in the win. Frank made seven saves in the win.
Jackson improved to 3-0 this season with a 4-0 victory against Poplar Bluff.
Katelyn Myracle and Bobbi Jo Schlick each scored one goal and added an assist to power the Indians.
Chelsea Dale and Hannah Roach also chipped in one goal apiece for Jackson.
Central played to a 2-2 tie against Sikeston, so the game was decided on penalty kicks. Central (3-3) won the game on penalty kicks by a margin of 4-1. Scoring the penalty kicks were Haley Pilsner, Laura Lusk, Danielle Markhart and Heather Deisher.
The Tigers dropped their first game to Marion, 4-3.
Christen Edmonds, Sarah Uptmor and Abby Kiefner scored in the losing effort.
— From staff reports