- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)36
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Coroner: SIU student found dead in campus creek had drowned
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- A coroner said a Southern Illinois University graduate student from China who was found dead in a creek on the Carbondale campus drowned.
No foul play is suspected.
Thirty-one-year-old Huaijun Meng was found fully clothed and face down shortly before 8 a.m. Wednesday in the creek near Wright Hall.
Jackson County Coroner Thomas Kupferer said an autopsy shows Meng drowned in the creek, where the water was about three feet deep.
Tests are pending to determine if drugs or alcohol were in his system.
Neighbors described the student as quiet but friendly, and they say they last saw him Tuesday evening.
Meng was studying electrical and computer engineering.