- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Helen Mildred Wessel, 86, of Gordonville died Friday, Feb. 27, 2004, at the Lutheran Home in Cape Girardeau.
She was born July 21, 1917, in Jackson, daughter of John O. and Ida Hitt Statler. She and William H. Wessel were married Oct. 1, 1942. He died June 10, 1989.
Wessel worked at the former Rozier's Clothing Store before her marriage. She was a member of Zion Lutheran Church and of its Ladies Aid and quilting group many years.
Survivors include two sons, Leon Wessel of Marble Hill, John Wessel of Gordonville; a daughter, Janet Streckfuss of South Dakota; a sister, Cecile Wilkinson of Millersville; nine grandchildren; and nine great-grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by four brothers.
Friends may call at McCombs Funeral Home in Jackson from 4 to 8 p.m. today, and Sunday after 12:30 p.m. at Zion Lutheran Church in Gordonville.
The funeral will be at 1:30 p.m. Sunday at the church, with the Rev. Wayne Schwiesow officiating. Burial will be in the church cemetery.