- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)41
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)9
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- One issue reveals Clinton's character (10/25/16)18
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- One victim IDs his attacker in shooting that killed woman (10/25/16)1
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- R.P. Lumber chain buys Southeast Missouri Builders Supply in Cape (10/25/16)7
Mo. district denies high school drama team travel funds
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. (AP) -- Members of a high school drama team in Springfield are trying to raise $4,000 for the cost of going to a statewide competition.
The students at Kickapoo High School won a district tournament last month for their performance of the one-act play "Antigone." That qualifies the young thespians for next month's statewide speech and debate tournament in Columbia.
But the district doesn't pay for most non-athletic teams to go to state competitions.
One student said the district had money available to send the basketball team to the state tournament -- but the team didn't qualify.
The district said it pays for non-athletic groups that earn a spot in national competitions, noting that the speech and debate competition does not lead to a national contest.
Information from The Springfield News-Leader: http://www.news-leader.com