- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Mo. district denies high school drama team travel funds
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. (AP) -- Members of a high school drama team in Springfield are trying to raise $4,000 for the cost of going to a statewide competition.
The students at Kickapoo High School won a district tournament last month for their performance of the one-act play "Antigone." That qualifies the young thespians for next month's statewide speech and debate tournament in Columbia.
But the district doesn't pay for most non-athletic teams to go to state competitions.
One student said the district had money available to send the basketball team to the state tournament -- but the team didn't qualify.
The district said it pays for non-athletic groups that earn a spot in national competitions, noting that the speech and debate competition does not lead to a national contest.
Information from The Springfield News-Leader: http://www.news-leader.com