- Deputies: Man, woman tried to arrange killing of his estranged wife (5/21/17)1
- Cape fines contractor $1,100 a day for street-project delays; contractor blames utility relocations (5/18/17)13
- Attorney general seeks bond revocation for embattled sheriff (5/17/17)3
- Cape police say man assaulted, kidnapped girlfriend (5/21/17)2
- I will not be silenced (5/16/17)4
- Mississippi County sheriff fights efforts in court to remove him from office (5/21/17)4
- Cape man accused of shooting a woman in Jackson (5/21/17)
- Broadening horizons: Heartland Dream Team founder stays committed to area youth (5/21/17)2
- Revival of Oran police board urged amid timecard fraud, nepotism allegations (5/17/17)4
- Business notebook: Woman, sister-in-law buy Perryville custom-wear shop (5/22/17)
VW Beetle turned into police cruiser
MARYVILLE, Tenn. -- Blount County's newest police cruiser has been turning heads.
Assistant chief deputy Archie Garner retrofitted a 1973 Volkswagen Beetle to add to the sheriff's fleet of police vehicles. The "bug-erceptor" was seized in a drunken driving case.
Garner said the car will be used mostly as a public relations tool for the department, making appearances in parades and at school events.