- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Easter services planned at area churches
* The East Cape Baptist Church will present the musical "Amazing Grace" at 10:30 a.m.
* Sunrise service will be at 6 a.m. followed by a continental breakfast at 7 a.m. at Harmony Church in Bollinger County. Sunday school will be at 8:30 a.m. and worship service is at 9:30. Harmony Church is six miles east of Marble Hill, Mo., on Highway 34.
* Abbey Road Christian Church will hold a sunrise service at 7 a.m. followed by Easter breakfast from 7:30 to 9 a.m.
* Sunrise service will be at 6:30 a.m. followed by breakfast at 7 a.m. at Zion United Methodist Church in Gordonville. Sunday school will be at 9:15 a.m., and services will be at 8 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. An Easter egg hunt will be held following the 10:30 service.
* First Presbyterian Church's SonRise service will be at 6:30 a.m. on the riverfront. Participants are asked to bring lawn chairs. Church school begins at 9:30 a.m. followed by an Easter egg hunt at 9:30 a.m. At 10:15 a.m. a coffee hour will be held featuring ethnic, traditional Easter breads, followed by the worship service at 10:45 a.m. with the sermon "Easter Means Resurrection."
* Hanover Lutheran Church will hold its sunrise service at 6:30 a.m. followed by 7:30 a.m. breakfast. An Easter egg hunt will begin at 9 a.m. The Easter service begins at 10 a.m.
* First Presbyterian Church of Jackson will have a sunrise service at Pleasant Hill Presbyterian Church at Fruitland at 6:30 a.m. Easter service will be at 10 a.m.
* Sunrise service will be held at 6 a.m. at Mount Zion General Baptist Church in Scopus. The Rev. Stevie Jordan will bring the message and breakfast will follow the service.
* Hobbs Chapel United Methodist Church, 3024 State Highway 177, will hold a 6 a.m. sunrise service. Doughnuts will be served afterward until the 9 a.m. service. Doughnuts will also be served between the 9 a.m. service and Sunday school at 10:15 a.m.
* Scott City's Ministerial Alliance of Churches will have its Community Easter sunrise service at Illmo Baptist Church. Sunrise service begins at 7 a.m. with congregational singing led by Illmo Baptist Church, and special music from Father's Arms Fellowship, Cornerstone Wesleyan and First Baptist churches. The host pastor, Dr. Robert Herring, will bring the opening prayer. The Rev. Ken Strong will deliver the message and the Rev. Larry Rouse of First General Baptist Church will offer closing prayer. A continental breakfast will follow the service in the downstairs fellowship hall.
* Easter service will be at 10 a.m. at Apostolic Promise Church, 361 Country Club Drive. Attendeesilw see two really rare cars. Teachers will have favors for the children. Call 334-0745 for a ride.
* Bethlehem General Baptist Church of Crump will have sunrise service at 6 a.m. at the church. Breakfast will follow in the church fellowship hall. A traditional Easter service will follow breakfast.
* There will be three Easter services at Jackson General Baptist church on Farmington Road: At 7 a.m. and 8:30 a.m. there will be a traditional service in the sanctuary; at 10:45 a.m., there will be a contemporary service in the activity center. There will be no Sunday school, but there will be children's church during the 8:30 and 10:45 services. A nursery is provided during all services.
* Cape Bible Chapel will have a special worship service at 10:15 a.m. with Communion. This is the only service of the day and will provide a time for families to worship together. A nursery will be provided for children up to 3 years old.
* There will be a sunrise service at Wesley United Methodist Church at 7 a.m., followed by breakfast at 7:30 a.m.
* There will be a celebration of Christ's resurrection at 10:45 a.m. at First Baptist Church with special music by The Ensemble, soloist Becky Swoboda, Ladies Ensemble, FBC Praise Team and The Sanctuary Choir, plus a message from the Rev. Mike Shupert titled "My Handles of Hope."
* There will be an Easter Sunday "Rejoice" service at First Pentecostal Church of Cape Girardeau. There will be special music and sign by Pre-Teen Praise, Super Church Choir and the Turning Point Choir, under the direction of Justin Teague. Returned missionary of Russia, Robert Bentley, will be the speaker. A Candy Rain will be held for all Sunday school children immediately after morning worship. There will be no evening service.
* First Church of God on Emerald Street will hold an Easter egg hunt at 1:30 p.m. today. A sunrise service will be held at 7 a.m. Sunday followed by breakfast, then Sunday school at 9:30 a.m. and morning worship at 10:45 a.m.
* Saint Paul United Methodist Church at Cape Girardeau and Washington streets in Commerce, Mo., will have a community Easter sunrise service with the lighting of the Paschal Candle beginning at 6:30 a.m. The Rev. David Thompson, pastor of Commerce Baptist Church, will deliver the message. A fellowship breakfast will follow the service. Traditional Easter worship will be held at 9 a.m., with the Rev. Jim Norris delivering the Easter sermon.
Christian Star Power coming to Cape
The Rock International Ministries presents the "Men United for One Cause" men's conference April 17, 18 and 19 at Rhema Word Ministries, 750 N. Mount Auburn Road in Cape Girardeau. The Rev. Thomas D. White, pastor of The Rock International Ministries in Jackson, is the conference host pastor for the largest Christian men's conference to ever be held in Southeast Missouri. "Men United For One Cause" is bringing some of the greatest names in gospel music and ministry to the heartland. This conference also features several powerful men of God from the local area, including Dr. A.G. Green, pastor of Rhema Word Breakthrough International Ministries, the Rev. Zack Strong of Christ Church of the Heartland, Bishop Ron Webb of Poplar Bluff, Mo., and many more. Tickets are available. The fee will increase after April 3. Register online at www.myspace.com/pastortdwhite.
Bowen to sing at Assembly of God
MARBLE HILL, Mo. -- Gospel singing will be held at 7 p.m. March 28 at First Assembly of God Church in Marble Hill, Mo. Gospel singer Bobby Bowen will perform. Bowen is a former lead vocalist and bassist with The MidSouth Boys Quartet. He has 25 years of experience singing Southern and Christian Country.
-- From staff reports