The Red Cross is providing emergency shelter to people who have been forced from their homes by high water or who cannot reach their homes because of high water. Shelters are open at the following locations:
* First Baptist Church, 502 Broadway, Marble Hill; 573-238-2545
* Delta Community Center, 211 East St., Delta; 573-794-2200
* Crossroads Church, 4400 E. Jackson Blvd., Jackson; 204-1912
* Harvest Baptist Church, 1606 S. Main St., Piedmont; 573-223-7433
* Zalma General Baptist Church, on Railroad Street, one block west of Highway 51, Zalma; 573-722-3167
The Red Cross asks people staying in shelters to bring personal items like medication or glasses, your own food if you have special dietary needs and something to pass the time. Shelters are set up "dormitory style" and lack privacy.
Animal care: The Humane Society of Missouri has sent disaster response teams to help find shelter for animals displaced by flooding. Efforts are being made to find temporary homes for pets, horses and farm animals. For assistance, call the Humane Society at 314-647-8800.