25 years ago: March 18, 1983
PERRYVILLE, Mo. — The approximately 845 elementary and high school students in the St. Vincent parochial system here have an unexpected holiday; a rash of sore throats and fever force school authorities to close St. Vincent and St. Boniface Elementary schools and St. Vincent High School.
Charles Hutson and Martin Hecht are back in Cape Girardeau after visiting Washington leaders in a quest to learn what types of federal funds are available for downtown redevelopment.
50 years ago: March 18, 1958
Dick Gilmore, senior center, led the Jackson Indians A team in scoring for the 1957-1958 basketball season with 293 points on 115 field goals and 63 free throws; for the season, the Indians won five of 14 regular scheduled games and in tournaments won two and dropped four, scoring 1,148 points to their opponents' 1,374.
Lt. John R. Williams, detective in charge of investigation for the Cape Girardeau Police Department, has submitted his resignation effective April 1; he will take over management of the Shell Oil Co. service station at West End Boulevard and Independence Street.
75 years ago: March 18, 1933
Rep. R.M. Talbert of Cape Girardeau led opposition to a racing measure which, if it hadn't been killed, would have permitted general race gambling under the thinnest sort of pretense; the vote dropping the proposed law was 94 to 36.
One of the largest shipments of twist and sack tobacco ever to be sent out from the Roth Tobacco Co. plant, 102 S. Frederick St., is forwarded to eight states in which the company does business; the consignment consists of 12,283 pounds.
100 years ago: March 18, 1908
The C.A. Field & Co., has rented the Leyhe building at the corner of Water and Themis streets and will open a poultry house there; the firm buys poultry for the eastern states and ships directly to Boston; it is said Field & Co. will buy poultry throughout Southeast Missouri.
Next door to the Leyhe building on Water Street, Herman Klages will open up an emporium for black patrons; it is to be a billiard hall on the first floor and a lodging house upstairs; the place is being painted and furnished.
— Sharon K. Sanders