- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Ray's of Kelso, Plaza by Ray's to change ownership; Fonn to buy enterprise (04/20/16)3
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
Health briefs and calendar 3/18/08
March 21 chosen as day to recognize Down syndrome
Down Syndrome International has officially designated Friday, March 21, as World Down Syndrome Day. Down syndrome affects the 21st chromosome, resulting in wide variance of mental and physical delays unique to each individual with the disorder. One in 733 babies is diagnosed with Down syndrome.
— From staff reports
* Love & Logic parenting program: 6:30 to 8 p.m. in meeting room 102 at Southeast Missouri Hospital. The parenting program provides simple and practical techniques to help parents have less stress and more fun while raising responsible children. There is a fee for the class manual. To register, call 651-5825.
* "Nutrition: It's a Matter of Fact": noon in the Saint Francis Health and Wellness Center conference room 1. The presentation, following the American Dietetic Association's theme for National Nutrition Month (March), will be about nutrition facts and fiction and how to distinguish reliable sources of information from poor sources of information. There is a cost. To register, call 331-5880 or 888-216-3293.
* Stroke Club: 2 to 4 p.m. at HealthPoint Plaza. A physical medicine and rehabilitation specialist will discuss "Stroke Rehab" at the support group.
* We Can support group: 4 to 6 p.m. in meeting room 102 at Southeast Missouri Hospital. A gastroenterologist will discuss "Colon Cancer." More information is available from the Generations Center or by calling Pastoral Care at 651-5519.
* Restore — breast cancer support group: 7 p.m. in the Healing Arts conference room at Saint Francis Medical Center. This meeting's topic is the management of lymphedema. To register, call 331-5357.
* Just the Facts ... Colorectal Cancer: 6:30 to 8 p.m. in meeting room 106 at Southeast Missouri Hospital. Medical staff will discuss colon cancer risk factors, types of tests used to detect colon cancer, signs/symptoms and various treatment options. Register by calling 651-5825.
* Nutrition 5K and Kids-K: Registration starts at 7:45 a.m. at Evergreen Park in Carbondale, Ill. Proceeds from the race will benefit the Good Samaritan Food Pantry and Soup Kitchen. Fees are $15 for individuals or $30 for families. The Kid-K is $6 per child, or free without the offered T-shirt. For entry forms, visit www.neighborhood.coop or call 618-529-3533.