- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Mary Sue Evitts, 82, of Cape Girardeau died Sunday, March 16, 2008, at Southeast Missouri Hospital.
She was born Oct. 2, 1925, in Bonne Terre, Mo., daughter of James and Dorothea (Appel) Evitts.
Mary was a member of Centenary United Methodist Church, the PEO and the Humane Society.
She was a professor of nursing at Southeast Missouri State University from 1963 to 1989.
She is survived by a son, Carey Evitts of Cape Girardeau; a daughter, Maria Abernathy of Mesa, Ariz.; two brothers and two sisters; nine grandchildren including Sage Abernathy-Stott and Thomas Allen; and two great-grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by her parents.
A memorial service will be at 1:30 p.m. today at Ford and Sons Mount Auburn Chapel, with the Rev. Jeff Long officiating.