- Golden Corral coming to Cape; may hire 100 workers (7/21/16)9
- Arrest warrants filed for six drug suspects in Cape (7/19/16)6
- Area groups working together to reintroduce elk in Missouri (7/18/16)1
- Suspect in downtown Cape shooting ID'd in court (7/20/16)2
- Prosecutor says shooting by state trooper was justified (7/24/16)15
- Hastings in Cape closing (7/22/16)5
- Governor signs Rep. Swan bill that equalizes child-custody criteria (7/6/16)5
- City may spend extra park tax money on Cape Splash, skate park, other projects (7/25/16)10
- Jackson's former police dog euthanized Monday (7/21/16)2
- 'I want to see how far I can go' (7/21/16)2
Redbirds claim Brewers pitcher
JUPITER, Fla. -- Left-hander Luis Martinez, recently cleared in a shooting in the Dominican Republic, was claimed Monday by the St. Louis Cardinals after being placed on waivers by the Milwaukee Brewers.
The Cardinals assigned Martinez, 24, to their 40-man roster. He was the Brewers' minor-league pitcher of the year last season, pitching at Double-A Huntsville, Triple-A Indianapolis and Milwaukee and striking out 172 batters in 177 innings.
Martinez was arrested earlier this month in the shooting. Authorities in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, determined he had acted in self-defense during what began as a traffic dispute.
The 6-foot-6 Martinez made four starts for the Brewers last September in his major-league debut, going 0-3 with a 9.92 ERA. That included a start against the Cardinals at Busch Stadium in which he allowed six runs and eight hits in 3 1-3 innings.
The Brewers had announced Saturday that Martinez had agreed on a one-year contract.