- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Carnahan awards grant to Cape Girardeau Public Library to Advance Missouri Libraries
Jefferson city, Missouri -- Missouri Secretary of State Robin Carnahan announced today that the Cape Girardeau Public Library received a Missouri State Library Summer Reading Grant in the amount of $7,401. The grant will be used for various community activities including Southeast Missourian Parks and Recreation Day at the Osage Center and the children's museum.
"Missourians are blessed to have a strong network of local public libraries throughout the state," said Carnahan. "Strong local libraries provide citizens with access to vast new resources and information right in their own communities. I'm pleased that this federal grant funding will help support the Cape Girardeau Public Library and provide library patrons even better services and programs."
The Secretary of State's Missouri State Library Summer Reading Grants are funded by the Library Services & Technology Act through the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services, which is the primary source of federal support for the nation's 122,000 libraries and 17,500 museums. The Institute's mission is to create strong libraries and museums that connect people to information and ideas.
So far, during this fiscal year the Missouri State Library has approved a total of 96 grant applications that have distributed $1,075,305 in awards to libraries.