- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Charleston boy dies in ATV accident
CHARLESTON, Mo. -- A four-wheeler accident involving a 10-year-old boy is under investigation in Mississippi County.
According to Mississippi County Coroner Terry A. Parker, 10-year-old Andrew R. Shelby and a friend were riding a four-wheeler Wednesday afternoon near the boy's home outside of East Prairie when it overturned, pinning both children under it.
Shelby was pronounced dead on arrival at Missouri Delta Medical Center in Sikeston at about 2:30 p.m. Wednesday.
An autopsy has been ordered by Parker to determine the exact cause of Shelby's death.
The accident is also under investigation by the Mississippi County Sheriff's Department and Parker.
Upon completion of the autopsy, the body will be released to McMikle Funeral Home in Charleston, where arrangements are incomplete.
The other child involved in the accident sustained moderate injuries, but none that were life-threatening, Parker said.