- Cape businessman known for starting NARS dies at 49 (2/23/17)9
- Apparent punch at girls basketball game propels lawmaker into action (2/21/17)4
- Business notebook: Owners ready to roll out the Barrel 131 (2/20/17)6
- Japanese restaurant up and running; owner surprised by fondness of sushi here (2/24/17)
- SoutheastHEALTH, Washington University School of Medicine announce collaboration (2/24/17)18
- Missouri bill would limit transgender school bathroom access (2/22/17)48
- MSHP: McLendon shot in side; autopsy refutes witness account (2/19/17)23
- Annual father-daughter dance provides some fun bonding time (2/19/17)1
- City issues precautionary boil order near Arena Park (2/23/17)
- $22M bond issue would alter Jackson schools (2/22/17)13
CHAFFEE, Mo. -- Alpha Leona Bechel, 100, of Chaffee died Thursday, Feb. 21, 2008, at Jackson Manor in Jackson.
She was born Aug. 24, 1907, in Chaffee, daughter of Levi John and Elenora Elizabeth Scheeter Bechel.
Bechel worked for many years in Louisville, Ky., and retired as a secretary at International Shoe Co. in St. Louis. She was a member of St. Ambrose Catholic Church and the Daughters of St. Ambrose. Bechel was the first baby baptized at St. Ambrose Catholic Church in Chaffee.
She was preceded in death by her parents and two sisters, Mabel Stehr and Juanita Bechel.
Survivors include two nieces, Linda Patterson (Wayne) of Oran, Mo., Jean Ann Diebold of Gladstone, Mo.; a nephew, Larry (Pam) Stehr of St. Louis; and several great-nieces and great-nephews.
Friends may call at 9 a.m. Monday until the time of Mass at St. Ambrose Catholic Church.
Funeral Mass will be held at 10 a.m. at St. Ambrose Catholic Church, with Rev. Ralph Duffner as celebrant.
Burial will follow in the church cemetery.