- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
CHAFFEE, Mo. -- Alpha Leona Bechel, 100, of Chaffee died Thursday, Feb. 21, 2008, at Jackson Manor in Jackson.
She was born Aug. 24, 1907, in Chaffee, daughter of Levi John and Elenora Elizabeth Scheeter Bechel.
Bechel worked for many years in Louisville, Ky., and retired as a secretary at International Shoe Co. in St. Louis. She was a member of St. Ambrose Catholic Church and the Daughters of St. Ambrose. Bechel was the first baby baptized at St. Ambrose Catholic Church in Chaffee.
She was preceded in death by her parents and two sisters, Mabel Stehr and Juanita Bechel.
Survivors include two nieces, Linda Patterson (Wayne) of Oran, Mo., Jean Ann Diebold of Gladstone, Mo.; a nephew, Larry (Pam) Stehr of St. Louis; and several great-nieces and great-nephews.
Friends may call at 9 a.m. Monday until the time of Mass at St. Ambrose Catholic Church.
Funeral Mass will be held at 10 a.m. at St. Ambrose Catholic Church, with Rev. Ralph Duffner as celebrant.
Burial will follow in the church cemetery.