- Man transitioning to woman killed herself in Cape City Jail in June; news comes from architect's pitch in Kansas (2/15/18)2
- Cape Girardeau businessman proposes redevelopment project; seeks taxing district to fund improvements (2/17/18)16
- Bell City arrest, Scott City incident highlight high-alert status following Fla. school shooting (2/20/18)4
- Plans in the works to save Esquire Theater on Broadway in Cape (2/21/18)1
- TJ's Burgers, Wings & Pizza expands with dining area in Fruitland (2/16/18)
- Pence gets it right in response to attack on Christian faith (2/17/18)6
- Charges filed in Sunday murder; suspects in custody (2/14/18)2
- Lovebirds for 80 years give advice: Trust, patience and 'Tell 'em you love 'em' (2/14/18)2
- Jackson schools purchased former orchard land, will lease for farming for now (2/15/18)
- The heart of the matter: Clinic helps patients rise above congestive heart failure (2/17/18)
Philadelphia record store owner sells vinyl, CD collection for $3 million
PITTSBURGH -- A man says he can now retire because someone bought his massive record collection on eBay for the asking price -- $3 million.
A buyer from Ireland agreed to shell out $3,002,150 for the collection of nearly 3 million vinyl albums, singles and CDs, owner Paul Mawhinney said Thursday.
The winning bidder has already deposited $300,000, and a bank has confirmed that he has enough money to buy the collection, Mawhinney said.
The price tag is one of the highest recorded by eBay Inc., said Karen Bard, a spokeswoman for the online auctioneer. A Gulfstream II jet once sold for $4.9 million, she said.
On Thursday, the 68-year-old Mawhinney closed Record Rama, which opened in Ross Township in 1968. He said he wants to spend time with his wife, three children and five grandchildren.
"I am legally blind. I had a couple of strokes a few years ago ... and it's time at my age to think about doing something else with my life," he said.
The collection includes more than 1 million albums, 1.5 million singles and 300,000 CDs, Mawhinney said.
On the Net
* Record Rama: http://www.thegreatestmusiccollection.com