- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Ray's of Kelso, Plaza by Ray's to change ownership; Fonn to buy enterprise (04/20/16)3
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Cape council approves nearly $1M in park, sculpture projects with little public discussion (04/22/16)37
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
Seven-part series begins at Grace UMC
"Walking the Path to Spiritual Growth," a seven-part sermon and study series begins next week at Grace United Methodist Church. The series is written and will be presented by the Rev. Scott Moon. It is inspired by "Celebration of Discipline" by Richard J. Foster. Worship is at 8 a.m. and 10:30 a.m., study at 9 a.m. Sunday.
Lenten services planned next week
* Lenten breakfast at Abbey Road Christian Church at 7 a.m. Sunday.
* The Rev. Sarah Hamilton will preach at 7 p.m. Sunday at Grace United Methodist Church. The Grace Chancel Choir will provide music.
* Wednesday at First Presbyterian Church, after supper at 5:45 p.m., the group will gather in the Upper Room for a meditation, "The Garden of Gethsemane: a Place of Prayer and Place of Arrest," led by Joan Slaughter.
* At noon Wednesday, a Lenten lunch will be held at the United Methodist church in Benton.
Eight-week series begins at Abbey Road
Abbey Road Christian church is starting an eight-week study/overview of the New Testament beginning at 9 a.m. Feb. 24. The series, "Everything You May Want to Know About the New Testament but Were Afraid to Ask," will delve into such questions as: Why isn't there a Gospel of Thomas? Why do the Gospels have similar stories but are also so different? What did Paul really say in all those letters? Did he really hate women? Are there hidden messages in the Book of Revelation?
Gospel group sings at Southside Baptist
Crimson Gold, a Gospel singing group from Black, Mo., will sing at 6 p.m. Feb. 24 at the Southside Baptist church, 805 Hackberry St., in Cape Girardeau.
Farewell reception held for Wright
Friends, family and collegues of the Rev. Wes Wright are invited to a reception to say goodbye to him and honor his 18 years of service at Mount Auburn Christian church, from 2 to 4 p.m. Feb. 24 at the outreach center.
This week's activities at First Baptist
* Sunday, the Rev. Mike Shupert will deliver the first Sermon in his new "Journey Together" series titled "Companion." The topic is marriage and the scripture reference is Genesis 2:18-24. Worship begins at 10:45 a.m.
* The church office will be closed Monday for Presidents Day.
* Wednesday at 6:15 p.m., Dr. Ron Winstead will be finishing the study of Luke Chapter 8.
-- From staff reports