- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)41
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
One Central relay reaches state swimming final round
The Central 200-meter freestyle relay team was the only local entry to advance from Friday's preliminaries of the boys swimming state meet in St. Peters.
The squad of Sam Maguire, Clay Schermann, Alex Heddle and Jason Mercer was eighth among 16 qualifying squads with a time of 1 minute 32.41 seconds. The squad will shoot for a top-eight finish in today's finals, which would make it all-state. The top 16 qualified for the finals.
Maguire, Schermann, Heddle and Mercer were 21st in the 200 medley relay (1:47.11), while Maguire, Schermann, Heddle and Hunter Givens were 35th in the 400 freestyle relay (3:36.07).
In the 50 freestyle, Schermann was 20th (23.13) and Maguire 24th (23.25).
Notre Dame's John Fisher was 25th in the 100 butterfly (57.35).
Central's Tanner Rust and Notre Dame's John Stoverink will compete in diving today.