- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Storage facility fire prompts evacuation in Monett
MONETT, Mo. (AP) -- About 20 families are evacuated from neighboring homes as firefighters battle a blaze that fully engulfed a self-storage operation in Monett.
Barry County emergency manager David Compton said nearby homes were evacuated because of heavy smoke and concerns that the flames could spread.
There is also a small amount of hazardous materials in the storage facility. Compton said that included things like lacquer and paint thinner.
Between 75 and 100 firefighters from seven departments were working the fire at A1 Rental and Storage.
Compton said a lightening strike was blamed for the fire.