- Golden Corral coming to Cape; may hire 100 workers (7/21/16)9
- Arrest warrants filed for six drug suspects in Cape (7/19/16)6
- Area groups working together to reintroduce elk in Missouri (7/18/16)1
- Suspect in downtown Cape shooting ID'd in court (7/20/16)2
- Prosecutor says shooting by state trooper was justified (7/24/16)15
- Hastings in Cape closing (7/22/16)5
- Governor signs Rep. Swan bill that equalizes child-custody criteria (7/6/16)5
- Jackson's former police dog euthanized Monday (7/21/16)2
- 'I want to see how far I can go' (7/21/16)2
- Southeast Missouri State football players, local police team up for Backstoppers benefit (7/22/16)2
Area calendar 1/31/08
* MAYB tournament: Southeast Youth Sports will host its annual MAYB basketball tournament in Cape Girardeau and Jackson on April 26 and 27. The tournament is open to boys and girls in grades 3 through 12. Cost: $150 for a minimum of three games. Info: Darrin Pruitt, 837-0111, or sesports.org.
* Free-throw competition: The Knights of Columbus will host its annual free-throw championship at 1 p.m. Sunday at the Immaculate Conception gymnasium in Jackson. The competition is for boys and girls ages 10 to 14. Registration will be from noon to 1 p.m. the day of the competition. Participants must have proof of age and written parental consent. Info: Ken Hotop, 243-1000, 579-0196.
* Trip to Grizzlies game: The Cape Girardeau Park and Recreation Department will conduct a bus trip to the Memphis Grizzlies' home game against the Boston Celtics on March 8. Cost of the trip is $55, which includes a ticket to the game and transportation. The bus will depart the Osage Community Centre at 1 p.m. for the 7 p.m. contest. Info: 335-5421.
* Mizzou watch party: The Southeast Missouri Black and Gold chapter of the Mizzou Alumni Association will host a watch party at Jimmi's Restaurant and Bar in Cape Girardeau on Monday. The Tigers take on Kansas, with the game scheduled to start at 8 p.m. Spirit items and door prizes will be available. Info: Dale Gerecke, 334-0555.
* Grow Native clinic: The Missouri Department of Conservation will offer a workshop about native plants at the Cape Girardeau Conservation Nature Center on March 7 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Participants will learn about natural communities, how to match plants to local conditions, how to establish a prairie planting and how to select trees for urban landscapes. Registration: $25 before today, $35 after today. Cost includes the workshop, lunch and a copy of the book, "Tried and True: Missouri Native Plants for Your Yard." Info: 290-5218.
* Practice schedule: The Cape Girardeau Scorpions Rugby Club holds practices Tuesdays and Thursdays at 5:30 p.m. at Arena Park. All players age 18 and older are welcome. No rugby experience is necessary. Cleats and running gear are needed for practice. Info: firstname.lastname@example.org
* Presidents' Day run: The Allen Laws Oliver Chapter of the Missouri Society of the National Society Sons of the American Revolution will sponsor the Presidents' Day 5K run Feb. 16 beginning at Red Star Baptist Church. Registration is set for 7:15 to 7:45 a.m., with the run starting at 8 a.m. Entry fee is $12 by Feb. 14 or $15 race day. Send registration fee: 2435 Glenridge, Cape Girardeau, Mo., 63702. Info: 576-6880.
* Super Kids Race Day: The Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department will host its annual Super Kids Race Day on Feb. 10 at the Southeast Missouri State Student Recreation Center. The event, which begins at 12:45 p.m., is for boys and girls from crawlers to age 15. Registration begins at 11:30 a.m. and concludes at 12:30 p.m. Adults will be included for the first time in an open 1-mile race for all ages. Participants will receive a T-shirt and a ribbon. Cost: $8 by Feb. 8, $12 after Feb. 8. Info: 335-5421.
* Race for the Cure run: The Chaffee High School FCCLA and FBLA will host its second annual Race for the Cure 5K on Feb. 23 at the high school activity center parking lot. The race begins at 9 a.m. Cost: $10 before Feb. 16, $15 after, including from 8 to 8:45 a.m. on race day. Awards will be presented to winners and age division champions. Info or to register: Travis Calkins, 579-4939.
* Snowball tournament: The Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department will host the inaugural Snowball Softball Tournament on Feb. 16 at Shawnee Park Sports Complex. The double-elimination event is open to men's and coed slow-pitch teams. Cost: $100. Deadline: Feb. 13. Info: Chris, 334-2523.
* Juniors tournament: Class Act Family Fitness will host the Jammin' Juniors tennis tournament Feb. 9 and 10. USTA rules and scoring will be used. There will be four girls divisions and four boys divisions, based on age. Cost: $20 for the first event, $12 for second event. Deadline: Wednesday. Info: Donna Ryan, 332-1614.
Submit items by mail, fax or e-mail before noon each Wednesday to be included in the calendar.